Viewing page 3 of 15
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
[[stamped]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/stamped]] Elbridge engine, and two monoplanes, one with an 8 cyl. Ashmusen 60 H.P. horizontally opposed air-cooled engine and the other with a 40 H.P. Hall-Scott engine. With this equipment Diehl and Frederick G. Hild, Long Island aviator, formed a partnership to promote a flying school. They decided their chances of success would be better in the middle west so shipped everything to Chicago and opened their school in the spring of 1915. This venture was not a success, however, so the equipment was moved to Long Island that fall, and they established the Eastern School of Aviation at Sheepshead Bay, Long Island in the spring of 1916 with both Diehl and Hild as instructors. The school was quite a success and a goodly number of students were taught to fly. Later that year announcement was made of their new Eastern tandem tractor biplane, using a 6 cyl. 120 H.P. Maximotor. This plane was designed to government specifications and was offered to the Army Signal Corps for military service at that time. Diehl remained with Eastern until the war clouds thickened in 1917, when he volunteered his services to the government as an instructor. Up to this time he had not obtained his pilot license, and since that was a requirement in the instruction service he went to the Atlantic Coast Aeronautical Station at Newport News, Virginia where he took about two and one-half hours dual flying time on a Curtiss JN-4. Diehl obtained pilot license No. 877, dated October 17, 1917 and was accepted for instruction service, starting with the Signal Corps at Mineola, Long Island. From there he was sent south to the winter school at Gerstner Field, Lake Charles, Louisiana, and in the spring of 1918 was sent to Chanute Field at Rantoul, Illinois. While stationed there Diehl flew to the Cleveland War Exposition during a Liberty Loan Drive, where he visited the new Glenn Martin airplane factory, meeting and visiting with Mr. Martin. Diehl served in the Signal Corps as an instructor about one year, then after leaving the Service he bought a government disposal English Avro with LeRhone rotary engine and started barnstorming in the New York area. 2
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.