Viewing page 22 of 23

  Diggins then enlisted in the Aviation Section, Signal Corps, U.S. Army and was first stationed at Rich Field, Waco, Texas, where he completed a course of flight training as a Military Aviator, then took training in night bombing at Ellington Field, Houston, Texas until January 1918. At that time he was commissioned and assigned to the 92nd Squadron, A.E.F and stationed at little-hampton, England to fly missions over the English Channel to protect Britain against German Zeppelin airship raids. On Jue 19, 1918 Diggins was granted F.A.I. Pilot License No. 1719 while in England. 
  After World War I Diggins returned to Chicago where he founded and became President of the Diggins Aviation Company and School of Aeronautics. He quickly developed this into a sizable business, employing several instructors and using war disposal training planes at Midway Field. This school was in operation until into 1923, during which time about 400 students were graduated, many of whom went on to become prominent in the aviation industry.
  During this period Diggins also pioneered in putting the aeroplane to work in several useful ways and was credited with maiding the first air express flight, from New York to Chiccago, in May 1921. In this type of activity he made numerous flights to distant cities carrying special air express and light freight shipments. He also ferried many notable passengers on business flying trips and did considerable aerial photographic work in the Chicago area. 
  In 1923 Diggins sold the business to Yackey Aircraft Company of Forest Park, Illinois. From 1925 he was Sales Manager of the Mercantile Finance Corporation of Los Angeles, California, then in 1925 he joined Western Air Express where he remained until 1927. At that time he became Transport and served in that capacity until the firm merged with Western Air Express in 1931. He then went into business for himself at Los Angeles.
  Diggins returned to his former home town, Harvard, Illinois, in 1934, and about 1937 retired to a dairy farm nearby where he made his home until he passed away at the Harvard Community Hospital on May 13, 1959, at age 72. He was survived by his wife. He was a co-organizer of the National Aeronautic Association and a member of the Early Birds, the Professional Pilots Associations and the
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact