Viewing page 7 of 20

The Italian government had purchased a number of Curtiss planes, and this trip was to demonstrate and instruct Italian Military officers at the Naval Flying School, Taranto, Italy. Remaining there until January, 1916 both men then went to London. While in London Doherty was married, and also received the chevalier of the Legion of Honor at the Italian Embassy, in appreciation of his services in Italy. 
  In March, 1916 the Curtiss Company assigned him to Spain, to set up an operation for the Spanish Government similar to that established in Italy. He first set up facilities for land planes at a field near Madrid, and later for sea planes at Cartegena. When he returned to the United States in the summer of 1916, the Curtiss Company loaned him to their Burgess Division at Marblehead, Mass. where he did test flying on Burgess-Dunne and various other experimental craft then under development. In October the Curtiss Company again sent Doherty to Europe on a brief trip. On his return he went back to the Burgess Division. That fall he also did some instructing for the Massachusetts State Militia.

[[Side Note]]
[[End Side Note]]

  Doherty remained as Burgess until the fall of 1917, when he was comissioned in the Naval Flying Service as Naval Aviator No. 430. During World War I he was the first Commanding Officer of the Anacostia Naval Air Station at Washington, D.C. He remained in Government Service until the fall of 1919, when he returned civilian life. Back with the Curtiss Company they sent him to New Orleans to set up a Southern Sales Agency, where he remained until 1925. There Doherty demonstrated Curtiss planes in the principal southern cities and did considerably flying with Curtiss Flying boats on the Mississippi River and at various [[Sulf?]] Forts. In 1925 he left the Curtiss Company and returned to Hammondsport to join his good friends and former Curtiss associates, J.L. Callan, Charles Witmer and Beckwith Havens to form a new concern, Airships, Inc., where he remained until 1929.
  At that time Doherty joined the American Aeronautical Corp. of New York, N.Y. Importers and American Agents for Italian Savoia plabes. He was connected with this firm until 1931 when they went of out business. Returning to Hammondsport, he retired from aviation and entered another business, until dis death on March

[[Page Number]] 

Transcription Notes:
Unsure how to properly add side note in margin. Besides this only had one issue with "(Sulf or Gulf) Forts"

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact