Viewing page 10 of 20
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
Early in June he and Beckwith Havens filled exhibition engagements at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and other eastern points. One June 28th he purchased a Curtiss flying boat and planned to start a passenger service in Buffalo. He took delivery of his boat July 4th and gave it a thorough try-out at once. Doherty preferred water craft and handled them beautifully. Later in July he was established at Erie Beach, Buffalo, making daily flights and carrying passengers. One day in August he was caught in a sudden severe windstorm while carrying passengers. He succeeded in alighting but the flying boat capsized and sank. He and his party were rescued without harm and later the flying boat was retrieved without serious damage. Early in September he returned to Hammondsport to assist the Curtiss company and while there passed the examination for his hydro-flight license, No.7, dated August 6, 1913. He then went to Detroit to instruct William Scripps and Barton Peck on now Curtiss flying boats they had just purchased. He remained there through October. In May, 1914, Doherty was [[strikethrough]] back [[/strikethrough]] and while there did some flying in a Curtiss flying boat owned by Jack Vilas.* Doherty flew exhibitions during the early summer, and in July started booking exhibitions for Curtiss water flightcraft, with headquarters at Hammondsport. During July he flew at Crystal Brach, Buffalo, N.Y., for Victor Vernon of Syracuse, using Vernon's Curtiss flying boat. Later, In August, Doherty went to Portland, Maine, with Vernon where Vernon received instruction on his own flying boat. In September Doherty was back in Hammondsport where he began testing the re-built Langley "Aerodrome" which ^had ^been ^entrusted ^to Glenn Curtiss, for flight testing. Instead of the catapult launching as in 1903, Curtiss substituted floats. With the original engine which was not turning up its original 52 h.p., ^(only about 35 h.p.) the aerodrome made short lift-offs, then with a Curtiss engine of about 75 h.p. it made longer flights at altitudes of about 10 - 25 feet. [[strikethrough]] were made [[/strikethrough]]^During ^these ^tests other changes had been made in the wing airfoil, guying/method of control, pilot location, plus the added weight and dragged floats. The aerodrome was then returned to the Smithsonian Institution and restored completely to its original condition by Luther Reed who at the turn of the century had been Langley's chief mechanic. It was then placed on exhibition in the National Museum, the first time that it had been so displayed. During those tests Doherty had served also as instructor, [[strikethrough]] as [[/strikethrough]] ^because the other instructors had left for California to get set up for the winter class at the San Diego School. Later in October 1914, Doherty and J.L. Callan left Hammondsport for an extended visit to Italy as representatives and instructors for the Curtiss company. *The hall of the Vilas flying boat is now in the National Air & Space Museum Collection.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.