Viewing page 14 of 20
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
equipped his plane with a searchlight and made a successful night flight in total darkness without ground lighting of any kind, carrying Hamilton as a passenger. In October they joined with the Moisant fliers and went to Mexico with Matilda Moisant, Harriet Quimby and Andre Houpert, where they all flew at Mexico City in an air meet in connection with the Inaugural Celebration of President Francisco Madero. The event, which started November 16th, lasted several days and while there Dyott took the President-elect for a ride. After flying a few other exhibitions in Mexico, Dyott and Captain Hamilton returned to New York. V Apparently Dyott and Hamilton severed connections after this tour and Dyott took over Hamilton's airplane. Dyott exhibited a Deperdussin in the New York Aero Show held at Grand Central Palace May 9-18, 1912, and shortly afterward apparently sold both planes to the Sloane Aeroplane Company, to be used for instruction. Dyott became Chief Instructor at the Sloan Flying School at Hempstead, Long Island, using the Dep [[strikethrough]]P[[/strikethrough]]lanes. In his first class he taught John G. Gilpatric and Mr. and Mrs. Irving Twombly. In August Dyott arranged for the Sloane Company to import a small, single-seat French Caudron monoplane, powered by a 6-cylinder Anzani engine; this was added to the school equipment. Early in September Dyott left the Sloane Comapny, bought an interest in the Morak Aeroplane Company, and started to fly for them. Charles Morak had taken over the Rex Aeroplane Company and Dyott began flying a Rex monoplane at Hempstead, New York. September 26th he flew an exhibition at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and on October 12th, he flew at Oakwood Heights, Staten Island, with George Beatty, Harry B. Brown, O.E. Williams, and Ruth Law. In December, 1912, the Morak Company discontinued operations and Dyott returned to England. That winter,at Clapham, England, assisted by Messrs. Hewlett and Blondeau, he designed and built a 29-foot-span monoplane, powered by a 50 h.p. Gnome engine. He returned to the United States with this plane and occupied Hangar No. 20 at the Hempstead Flying Field in late May, 1913, flying actively there through C.C.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.