Viewing page 19 of 20

October 12th, he flew [[crossed-out]] in an air meet [[/crossed-out]] at Oakwood Heights, Staten Island, with George Beatty, Harry B. Brown, O. E. Williams, and Ruth Law.

In December, 1912, the Morak Company discontinued operations and Dyott returned to England. That winter, at Clapham, England, assisted by Messrs. Hewlett and Blondeau, he designed and built a 29-foot-span monoplane, powered by a 50 h.p. Gnome engine. He [[crossed-out]] then [[/crossed-out]] returned to the United States with this [[crossed-out]] new [[/crossed-out]] plane and occupied Hangar No. 20 at the Hempstead Flying Field in late May, 1913, flying actively there through June and July. At that time he was also engaged in overhauling a Nieuport monoplane owned by the Aero Club of America.

Dyott flew in a Fourth of July [[crossed-out]] flying [[/crossed-out]] show at Hempstead with Bonney, Gilpatric Hild, Kantor and Kimerlee. On July 31st he flew from Hempstead to Brighton Beach for an exhibition, then returned to Hempstead. Early in August he flew from Hempstead to Bradley Beach, New Jersey, for exhibition flights then on to Belmar, New Jersey, where he flew at the Shark River Carnival. Following this he flew at Asbury Park, New Jersey, [[crossed-out]]for a time [[/crossed-out]] as a resort attraction.

In late September Dyott returned to England with his machine and was entered in an air race from Hendon to Brighton and return on November 8th. Flying off course after losing his way, Dyott landed at Beachy Head to get his bearings and overturned in landing, damaging the plane and putting him out of the race. During the winter of 1913-1914 he was chief test pilot for the British Nieuport Company, then later that spring he went to France, where he acted as test pilot and [[crossed-out]] also an [[/crossed-out]] instructor at the French Nieuport Flying School. 
Dyott evidently remained at schools in Europe through 1914-1916 [[crossed-out]] and [[/crossed-out]] doing test work in England and France, and [[crossed-out]] was [[/crossed-out]] in charge of the Nieuport Flying School in England during World War I. [[crossed-out]] as [[/crossed-out]] He had become a British subject to serve in the Royal Naval Air Force.
After the war Dyott returned to the United States and settled at Merrick, Long Island, New York, where he made his home for some time. There he married and three sons. Later he became an active explorer in the jungles of Africa and South America and brought back animals for the Bronx Zoo. He then turned to writing books of these adventures. [[crossed-out]] which were published. There was also [[/crossed-out]] A motion picture
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact