Viewing page 24 of 27

selves The Eaton Brothers and Company. Both brothers and Twining were also members of the newly formed Aero Club of Southern California, which had established a field of operations at the new motordrome at Playa del Rey near Los Angeles. There Eaton taught himself to fly the new Eaton-Twining monoplane during the summer of 1910 and reportedly was making brief flights with it by August. Later that fall the brothers made a biplane, powered first by a Ford automobile engine, then later this was changed to a Hall-Scott. With this plane Eaton really began to do some creditable flying. 

During the early months of 1911 they made two Curtiss-type biplanes powered by Macomber rotary engines, one for their use and one for Harry Harness. In April they built two additional biplanes, one for a customer and one for a school plans, both powered by Detroit Aeromotor engines. 

In May operations were moved to Hyde Park, Los Angeles where they had their own flying field and shop. There they started a flying school at once, with Jack Cannon as instructor. During this entire period Beryl Williams was working for the brothers as a mechanic and he later went on to become an aviator. At this time the latest Eaton biplane resembled a Curtiss, with front elevator and Farman landing gear. With 35-foot span double surfaced wings the plane was powered by an 8-cylinder 60 H.P. Hall-Scott engine. During June their flying field was a busy place with a class of pupils. 

They engaged to fly an exhibition on July 4th at Santa Barbara, California with two planes. Jack Cannon and student aviator Dwight Paulding made flights but bad minor accidents during the event. During July and through the fall Eaton was flying actively and carried some passengers in addition to instructing. Early Bird Dana do Hart was a pupil at the Eaton School that summer and also worked as a mechanic in the shop. On September 10th he made an 18 mile cross-country flight, then September 16th and 17th flew exhibitions for the Eatons at Stockton, California. 

During the winter of 1911-1912 the brothers built three planes on order and in the spring Warren was again in charge of the school as instructor and brother Frank had charge of the field and shop. Their primary school machine, called

2
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.