Viewing page 25 of 27

LIZZIE, was a short wing plane powered by a geared down Ford automobile engine and capable of hops only. Dehart flew for them again that season doing test and exhibition work. On April 21st, 1912 Eaton received F.A.I. license No. 128 flying a Hall-Scott powered Eaton biplane, and on that day he took his mother and brother for rides. Prominent Katon School graduates that year were Tom Gunn and Schiller brothers, all of whom purchased Eaton planes. 
   The Eaton brothers' aeroplane venture, as such, appears to have ended later in 1912 when Warren became associated with Roy Knabenshue in the design and construction of a 12-passenger airship at Pasadena, California. After the completion of this craft in 1913 Eaton joined Glenn Martin as design engineer. While there he assisted with the first Martin tractor biplanes that successfully passed Government tests and were accepted as advanced trainer planes. 
   In April, 1912 Eaton became associated with Lincoln Beachey to design and assist in the construction of a small special Gnome-motored biplane for looping. Working with Art Mix and Al Hofer this machine was made in a basement workshop in Chicago, Illinois, completing it in early May, and Beachey began flying it at Ashburn Field. Eaton remained with Beachey and Art Mix on the exhibition tour that season, during which Beachey gained great fame for his sensational looping and acrobatic flying throughout the country. 
   Toward the end of the 1914 season Beachey wanted a monoplane, and later that fall Eaton designed and, with the assistance of Hillery Beachey, started the construction of a 26 foot span, wire braced plane of this type of Beacher's express specification. Called the "Beachey-Eaton Monoplane" it was an enclosed fuselage machine, powered by an 80 H.P. Gnome rotary engine, and has a tricycle landing gear. 
   Completed early in 1915 Beachey started flying it at the Christofferson brother's flying field at San Francisco Beach. He was loping at the Panama-Pacific Exposition at that time using his biplane, then following some testing he decided to start using the monoplane on March 13th. The next day he used it again and was killed while performing his usual stunts. 
   After this unfortunate ending of the Beachey association Eaton later joined.  
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact