Viewing page 10 of 18
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
had it completed in March, 1915. In early April Tony and Ericson flight tested the new plane on the Patapsco River near Fort McHenry and the new craft proved highly satisfactory. It was a 42-foot span stagger wing biplane with an 8-cylinder 125 H.P. Maximotor engine mounted in the hull driving a pusher propeller by chain, geared 3:4. The pilot sat forward with seating for three passengers behind him. This new boat was sold at once and was shipped on April 28th to W.E. Davidson of Detroit, Michigan. In May Tony Jannus joined the Toronto, Canada division of the Curtiss Company as an instructor in the newly formed Canadian Curtiss Flying School, and Ericson soon joined him there. This move evidently ended the Baltimore Jannus venture. The Curtis Company had established a Canadian branch factory, the Curtiss Aeroplanes and Motors Ltd., where JN-4 planes for their school were being built, and they were also working on a large new bombing plane for the British Government. Ericson fitted into all this work at once and became a co-designer of the new large Bomber, the "Canada". It was completed and tested by Tony Jannus and Ericson in September and soon accepted by the British officials who ordered 30 of them. During this period Ericson obtained Canadian F.A.I. Pilot License No. 5. By May, 1916 Ericson was Chief Engineer of the Toronto Curtiss Division. In early 1917 this Division was taken over by the Canadian Imperial Munitions Board and re-organized, becoming Canadian Aeroplanes, Ltd. The new arrangement was headed by Canadian F.W. Baillie and F.G. Ericson, Chief Engineer. The Division had been and was still building Curtiss JN-4 training planes for both Canadian and British requirements and during that time Ericson had made many improvements over the original design, which was then known as "Canucks". Toward the end of 1917 the Canadian orders for these planes had been filled and they then built one thousand of them for the United States, completing twelve to fifteen a day. During this period Ericson was made a member of the International Aircraft Standards Board. In January, 1918 he was sent to England, France and Italy on a trip to study European aviation, and to bring back the plans of the large British "Felixstowe" flying boat for the United States Air Board. After his return to the United
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.