Viewing page 13 of 18
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
In May Tony Jannus joined the Toronto, Canada, division of the Curtiss Company as an instructor in the newly formed Canadian Curtiss Flying School, and Ericson soon joined him there. This move evidently ended the Baltimore Jannus venture. The Curtiss Company had established a Canadian branch factory, Curtiss Aero- [[left-margin]]Tr[[/left-margin]] planes adn[[editing mark-reverse]] Motors, Ltd., where JN-4 planes for their school were built, and they were also working on a large new bombing plane for the British Government. Ericson fitted into all this work at once and became a co-designer of the new large bomber, the "Canada." It was completed and tested by Tony Jannus and Ericson in September and soon accepted by the British officials who ordered 30 of them. During this period Ericson obtained Canadian F.A.I. [[crossed-out]]P[[/crossed-out]][[p]]ilot [[crossed-out]]L[[/crossed-out]][[l]]icense No. 5. By May, 1916, Ericson was Chief Engineer of the Toronto Curtiss Division. In early 1917 this Division was taken over by the Canadian Imperial Munitions Board and reorganized, becoming Canadian Aeroplanes, Ltd. The new arrangement was headed by Canadian F.W. Baillie with [[crossed-out]]and[[/crossed-out]] F.G. Ericson as Chief Engineer. The Division had been and was still building Curtiss JN-4 training planes for both Canadian and British requirements and during that time Ericson had made many improvements over the orginal design, which was then known as the "Canuck." Toward the end of 1917 the Canadian orders for these planes had been filled and they then built one thousand of them for the United States, completing twelve to fifteen a day. During this period Ericson was made a member of the International Aircraft Standards Board. In January, 1918, he was sent to England , France, and Italy on a trip to study [[left-margin]]edit checkmark [[/left-margin]] European aviation, and to bring back the plans of the large British "Felixstowe" flying boat for the United States Air Board. After his return to the United States an order was placed with Canadian Aeroplanes, Ltd. for several of these large flying boats to be used by the Navy. Called the F5L's they were powered by two Liberty-12 engines and were finished and delivered in seven months. During the war Ericson also designed and developed the first successful snow ski[[crossed-out]]e[[/crossed-out]]s, which were extensively used during winter operations. The firm also made some Avro planes and had started the manufacture of DH-4's at the time of the Armistice. 2.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.