Viewing page 27 of 30

Texas and Vera Cruz, Monterey, and Mexico City in Mexico. At El Paso Hamilton and Simon made a 25-minute flight across the border and over Juarez, Mexico, which was then in a state of siege. They did this after receiving permission, with the understanding that they do so at [[crossed-out]]their [[crossed-out]] the [[crossed-out]] own [[crossed-out]] risk of being fired upon by the Mexican insurgents. Hamilton became ill at Monterey on February 20th and left the troupe to return home, where later [[crossed-out]] it [[crossed-out]] his ailment proved to be tuberculosis.

Hoping to regain his health [[crossed-out]] quickly [[crossed-out]] and [[crossed-out]] go on with [[crossed-out]]continue his flying, he formed the Hamilton Aviation Company at New Britain, Connecticut, in April, 1911. The incorporators were Hamilton and his wife, his mother and stepfather, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Beaudette, and T. W. O'Conner. The group established a flying field at nearby Winsted, Connecticut, [[crossed-out]] and [[crossed-out]] where they planned to build, exhibit, and [[crossed-out]] deal in [[crossed-out]] sell [[crossed-out]] aeroplanes [[crossed-out]]airplanes. He also purchased a new Burgess-right plane from the Burgess Co. & Curtis, of Marblehead, Massachusetts in May, and after some instruction from W.S. Burgess and Harry Atwood at Squantum during late May and early June to learn the Wright control, he took his plane to New Britain and Hartford, Connecticut, and carried some passengers. 

As June ended Harry Atwood was making his celebrated flight from Boston to Washington, D.C., by way of New York and Atlantic City. [[crossed-out]] Evidently as a matter of interest [[crossed-out]] Hamilton was [[crossed-out]] following his progress for he [[crossed-out]] interested, and was at Atlantic City when Atwood arrived there. July 5th and 6th he rode with Atwood as a passenger at Atlantic City and was then invited to fly to Washington, D.C., with Atwood, [[?]] invitation which was accepted. They started on July 7th [[crossed-out]] and [[crossed-out]] but a dog ran into their path as they were taking off, damaging the propeller. A second start was made and after taking off over water the plane became unmanageable due to the faulty propeller and they crashed, narrowly escaping drowning. The plane was badly damaged and the 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact