Viewing page 10 of 18

William Hillard was acting as Burgess Company aviator although he had very limited flying experience. After the New York Show the plane on exhibition was taken to the flying field at Mineola, Long Island, where Hilliard started flying it on January 22nd. Evidently Hammond and Atwood had continued to plague Burgess about instruction and he may have authorized their trip to Mineola at that time where, hopefully, Hilliard might give them some instruction. Hilliard did make occasional practice flights, weather permitting, but always maintained that conditions were not suitable to train students, so they received no instruction.
    Hilliard had a bad smashup on April 17th and the plane was so badly wrecked it had to be returned to the factory for rebuilding. After having waited around for several weeks to get some training Hammond and Atwood became very discouraged and decided to leave. Atwood did go home, but Hammond remained, determined he would stay until he had learned to fly. About this time Captain Thomas S. Baldwin returned from a trip to the Orient, learned of Hammond's situation and enrolled him at once on his team of aviators. Accordingly Hammond started training at Mineola about June 1st, 1911 on a Baldwin Biplane with a Hall-Scott 60 hp engine. By the end of the month he was flying well and continuing his practice.
    On July 4th he flew an exhibition for Baldwin at Norwich, Connecticut, and on July 10th flew from Mineola to Nassau Boulevard and return, then July 16th and 17th he flew in a small benefit meet at Mineola. He was flying at Mineola that month and on July 22nd flew his license tests and F.A.I License No.34 was granted him on July 24th, flying an 80 hp Hall-Scott powered Baldwin "Red Devil" biplane.
    Another Baldwin student, William Badger of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, was also in training at Mineola with Hammond at the same time, and Baldwin entered both men in training at Mineola with Hammond at the same time, and Baldwin entered both men in the famed Chicago Meet at Grant Park, held August 12th to 20th. The troupe, with machines and mechanics, left New York for Chicago on August 6th. This was a large event with many of the world's most notable airmen competing.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact