Viewing page 6 of 33
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
[[stamped]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/stamped]] aircraft industry. During 1912 they built a new light single-seat monoplane, known as the Model D, also using the Anzani engine. This plane was intended for training work using the early grass cutting method. On January 9th, 1913 Albert flew over Baldwin, Long Island and dropped a package of mail at the local Post Office advertising "Heinrich aeroplanes, Monoplane or Biplanes, Flying Taught and Exhibitions Arranged." In April the brothers were flying the two 1912 monoplanes, shifting their one Anzani engine from one machine to the other as needed. That spring the brothers also carried a second person with the smaller single-seat monoplane, the passenger kneeling on the fuselage just back of the pilot and holding on the cabane. On May 6th Albert flew one of their monoplanes at a Langley Day Celebration at Washington, D.C. That spring their flying school was started at Baldwin, then in late May moved to the Hampstead Plains Flying Field where they occupied Hangar No. 30 for the summer months. The first pupil was George Page, Jr. of Hillsdale, New Jersey, followed by Fred Jacobs of Germany and Victor Prokofief of Russia. That year they had eight or ten pupils and the brothers were commuting back and forth by air from their home field at Baldwin. Among these students was Mary Sims of New York City who later become Mrs. Albert Heinrich. In July, 1913 the Heinrich Aeroplane Company, Inc., Baldwin, New York was formed to manufacture planes. Incorporators were Arthur O. and Albert S. Heinrich, and Henry G. Karpen of Brooklyn, New York. Later that month students Page and Jacobs were flying well and would soon be ready for license tests. In August Mary Sims had a mashup at Hampstead, but was not injured. The school and construction work continued, and George Page and Fred Jacobs completed their training that summer. On December 10th, 1913 Albert received his F.A.I. Flying License, No. 277, and on January 7th, 1914 George Page obtained his license, No. 279. On Janu-ary 21st, 1914 Albert became a member of the Aero Club of America. In 1914 their aviation activities continued and on July 4th Albert was second place in an air race from Governors Island in New York Harbor to Spuyton Duyvil, then back down the river to the Atlantic Yacht Club at Seagate and return to the 3
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.