Viewing page 6 of 25


aerial photographs, and he dove it into the ground and smashed it, so Hodgdon did no flying that year. During the summer he worked to earn money to contribute toward his tuition at Tufts College, Engineering School, which he entered that fall.

Through the summer of 1915 Hodgdon and Sr. C.F. Gomes rebuilt his wrecked Curtiss-type plane at Somerville, Massachusetts, then took it to the Squantum flying field intending to fly it, but instead sold it at once to C.C. Caldwell, who shipped it to Hampton Beach, New Hampshire, where he crashed it into the surf. As a result Hodgdon again did no flying that year.

Early in 1916 Dr. W.C. Whittemore and W.E. Hamm of Dover, Massachusetts, brought a small monoplane to Squantum Field for tests and engaged Hodgdon to fly it for them. It was powered by an 18 H.P. 2-cylinder opposed French-built Clement-Bayard engine, and Hodgdon made numerous straight-away extended hops for them there that summer with this machine, but it was too underpowered for successful flight or attempted turns.

In the fall of 1916 Whittemore and Hamm organised a firm and started building a large 2-seat tandem tractor biplane to be powered by engines of 90 to 150 H.P. Hodgdon was retained as their pilot, but since he had not flown planes of that horsepower, in March, 1917 they sent him to the Curtiss School at Newport News, Virginia for advanced instruction, where Victor Carlstrom was his instructor. Following his work there Hodgdon returned to Boston.

The new Whittemore-Hamm plane was ready for tests in September and Hodgdon flew this plane for the company actively until April, 1918 while still attending Tufts College.

At this time he was trying to enroll in the Aviation Section, Signal Corps, but was rejected due to imperfect vision. As a result he enlisted as a private in Artillery, stationed at Fort Standish, Boston Harbor. One month after enlistment the Dean of Tufts College arranged to have Hodgdon transferred to the Corps of Engineers, where he was commissioned 2d Lieutenant at Camp Lee, Virginia. Later he was transferred to the Air Corps and was released, with reserve duty,

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact