Viewing page 10 of 25

meet the General Aviation Company went out of business, leaving their students stranded. In addition to Hodgdon there were Roy Waite, Harry Jones, Jack McGee and several otehrs.

As the company folded they had two partially completed Curtiss-type planes under construction by the students at a shop in Boston.[[strikethrough/]]and[[strikethrough]] Hodgdon's father obtained one of these as payment[[strikethrough/]]of tuition for[[strikethrough]]in lieu of lessons not received. Hodgdon and his brother completed the plane, with a 60 Fox deluxe engine, and Paragon propeller, equipping it as a 2-seater with dual controls. By July the plane was ready for tests and Hodgdon's father hired Ripley Bowman to fly it, with instructions to first make sure it was safe, then reach both boys to operate it. Bowman crashed in his initial hop, then disappeared.

Several prominent flyers came to the flying field that summer of 1912, including Ruth Law, who made her [[strikethrough]] first [[/strikethrough]] solo flight there. Farnum Fish brought his Wright biplane there for repairs. When he started flying Hodgdon paid for and obtained several flying lessons from him before he left in August.

Hodgdon then started taking lessons from Roy Waite on his Burgess-Wright biplane. [[strikethrough]] and t[[strikethrough]]These continued on occasion until the spring of 1913 when Waite told him he needed no more instruction. He did not solo at the time, however, because he could not put up the heavy bond necessary to cover the possible damage to the plane in case of an accident, but he had learned to fly.

At that time Waite was also teaching Sr. Pedro Z. Coronel, Hodgdon rebuilt the Curtiss-type plane Bowman had wrecked during the summer of 1912 and started flying it, first taking a number of short flights, then they decided to attempt a longer one. While over a marsh away from the field their engine quit, causing a forced landing. The nose wheel sank into the soft marsh, the plane turned turtle, and was wrecked again. Hodgdon received a broken collar bone and Coronel a badly but leg. This ended Hodgdon's flying activities for 1913. He was attending High School at the time and had graduated in the spring of 1914.

He managed to repair the plane [[strikethrough]] in 1924 [[/strikethrough]] that year and [[strikethrough]] loaned [[/strikethrough]] lent it to a Mr. Shaw to make 


Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact