Viewing page 14 of 18

Edward Hubbard
Early Boeing Test Pilot

Edward Hubbard was born in San Francisco, California January 3, 1887. Information is lacking concerning his early life and education.

When Curtiss Flying School graduate T. T. Maroney of Helena, Montana started a school at Harbor Island, Lake Washington, Seattle, Washington about August 1st, 1915, Hubbard was his first student. Maroney had a genuine Curtiss single float [[strikethrough]] hydro [[/strikethrough]] seaplane, powered by an 8-cylinder 60-65 [[strikethrough]] h.p. [[/strikethrough]] hp Curtiss engine. That fall Hubbard learned to fly and by October was practicing landings. By November he was flying [[strikethrough]] well [[/strikethrough]] very capably and took his tests for a [[strikethrough]] hydro [[/strikethrough]] seaplane license on November 26th, obtaining F.A.I. Certificate No. 45 on December 8, 1915.

[[strikethrough]] He continued his flying practice and on [[/strikethrough]] July 4th, 1916, as part of an Independence Day celebration, he flew a pouch of mail from Seattle to Camp Lewis, Tacoma, Washington, carrying Army Lieutenant E. T. Condon [[strikethrough]] as part of an Independence Day Celebration [[/strikethrough]], then returned to Seattle. During the late summer and fall Hubbard did some flying for William E. Boeing who was just starting the Boeing Company. In September Hubbard rescued a couple from drowning on Lake Washington when he picked them up with a [[strikethrough]] hydro [[/strikethrough]] seaplane after their canoe had capsized.

During World War I Hubbard was a civilian flying instructor for the Signal Corps, U.S. Army School at Rockwell Field, North Island, San Diego. [[strikethrough]] California [[/strikethrough]]

After the war, in early 1919, Hubbard returned to Seattle and again started to fly for Boeing. During an Exposition at Vancouver, British Columbia, in early March, the [[strikethrough]] managers [[/strikethrough]] Canadians wished to have a sack of mail flown [[strikethrough to [[/strikethrough]] there from the United States [[strikethrough]] during the event [[/strikethrough]] and asked Boeing if he would [[strikethrough]] fly a plane there to bring the mail back[[/strikethrough]] arrange this. As a result in late February Hubbard piloted a Type "C" twin-float Boeing [[strikethrough hydro [[/strikethrough]] seaplane to Vancouver, carrying Boeing as a passenger. On the way they ran into a storm and Hubbard alighted at Anacortes where they remained for the night. The next day they flew on and alighted at the Royal Vanvouver
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact