Viewing page 21 of 38

own to operate a flying school, carry passengers and fly exhibitions. They also planned to design, build and market a new Jannus Flying Boat. The brothers started operating their flying boats from the Patapsco River and late that fall carried many prominent people from both Baltimore and Washington on flights about the Bay area. On November 4th Rodger made an extended flight over Baltimore carrying a local news photographer and put on quite a show [[strikethrough]] making [[/strikethrough]] that produced headlines.

At this time the Jannus Brothers [[strikethrough]] both [[/strikethrough]] took tests and obtained U.S. Dept. of Commerce Marine Operator Licenses authorizing them to operate motor vessels, thereby complying with harbor regulations. They were probably the first flying boat pilots to comply with this requirement when operating in conjested harbors. Former Benoist student J. D. Smith joined them and took some additional instruction, Fritz Ericson completed his lessons and A. W. Harris, of Peoria, Illinois entered the school. Former Sloane land graduate, W. Knox Martin, joined them, purchased one of the Benoist [[strikethrough]] Boats [[/strikethrough]] flying boats and took some flying boat instruction. In late November the new Jannus Brothers Company started construction of their new Flying Boat, a pusher biplane model of 45 ft. span for pilot and two passengers, using an 8 cylinder 120 H.P. Maximotor engine installed in the hull behind the occupants driving the propeller [[strikethrough]] mounted between the wings [[/strikethrough]] by a roller-chain transmission.

In January, 1915 Rodger and W. Knox Martin started to fly [[strikethrough]] their Boats [[/strikethrough]] under contract for the Panama-California Exposition at San Diego, California, making daily flights and carrying passengers. Between January 5th and March 13th they made 627 flights and carried 367 passengers. Later J. D. Smith also joined Rodger as a pilot there. On January 15th, 1915 Rodger obtained hydroaeroplane license No. 26 on his Benoist [[strikethrough]] Boat [[/strikethrough]] flying boat. At the Exposition that winter Rodger carried many distinguished passengers on flights about the San Diego and Coronado area. On February 19th he had a smash-up into San Diego Bay while flying alone, but he was not injured. During the late winter months of 1914-1915 Tony and Ericson started first flight tests of the new Jannus flying boat at Baltimore which were highly satisfactory. The design work on this craft was largely the work of Ericson, who was a close friend of Max Lillie and had attended technical school-
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact