Viewing page 9 of 25

plane, flown by James M.Johnson, won the contest easily at on official speed of 64.1 miles per hour, at Wilbur Wright Field on October 3, 1924. 

Walter Lees left the firm that fall to go with the Packard Motor Company as test pillow on their aircraft Diesel engine project, and Johnson then engaged Jack Iaas and Clyde Enerick as pilots. [[strikethrough]] to enlarge their staff. [[/strikethrough]] About this same time Driggs also engineered a second Johnson aeroplane, called the “Canary”, It was a quite conventional tractor biplane, with tandem seating for pilot, and two passengers forwards, side by side, using a Curtiss OX engine. This plane was used in their passenger-carrying business and was announced to the trade in April, 1925. 

Driggs left the company in 1925 to start his own firm, and Johnson then engaged D. E. Dunlap as engineer. The development of the company continued, and as in 1926 design work was started on a third Johnson aircraft. Announced in January, 1927, it was called the “Johnson Tidn-60”. It was a small biplane of 27-foot span, using two pusher British-built 2-cylinder opposed air-cool Bristol “Cherub” engines of 32 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] h.p. each. Designed as a 2-seat tandem, ultra-safe, twin-engine light plane for commercial and private flying, it underwent considerable test and development before Johnson eventually abandoned the project.

[[Strikethrough]]Jones Johnson[[strikethrough]] The "other Johnson", James, resigned from the firm in 1927 to go with the U.S. Bureau of Aeronautics. The Johnson Aeroplane and Supply Company continued in business until late 1938 then [[insert]]Edward[[insert]] Johnson became sales manager for the Variety Aircraft Corporation, Dayton, Ohio, as contractors to the United States government, the firm manufacturing a line of aircraft accessories. He remained in this capacity through 1939, then because government representative for the Aero Equipment Corporation, of Bryan, Ohio.

During World War II, [[insert]]Edward[[insert]] Johnson served in a technical capacity at the Wright-Petterson Air Force Base, Fairfield, Ohio, then about 1948 moved to California to join Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft at San Diego. There on July 14th, 1949, at age 64 [[insert]]while driving[[insert]] Johnson [[interest]]has a sudden heart attack and[[insert]] was killed when his car crashed into the column of an overhead bridge.  

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact