Viewing page 15 of 25
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
January, 1917, the school was moved to Memphis, Tennessee for the winter months. From then until mid-1918 Johnson served as a Signal Corps instructor at Memphis, Rantoul, Selfridge, Ellington and Gerstner Fields in turn. During the second half of 1918 Johnson was moved up to Experimental Test Pilot at the newly established McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, where he remained until the end of 1918. During December of that year Johnson first obtained F.A.I. License No. 3276, then Aero Club of America Expert License No. 215. [[crossed out]]Johnson[[/crossed out]] He then joined the Air Mail Service and in 1919 flew the New York-to-Cleveland route. Toward the end of the year he founded the Johnson Aeroplane and Supply Company at Dayton, Ohio, to deal in government surplus planes, engines and aviation equipment. He also did rebuilding and repair work, conducted a flying school, carried passengers, and did commercial flying. He established his own flying field and buildings, and remained in [[crossed out]] this [[/crossed out]] business [[crossed out]] venture [[/crossed out]]there until 1938. In April, 1921, another ex-Curtiss pilot and former flying associate, James M. Johnson, joined the firm. The two men were not related, but together they proceeded to build up a very substantial business. In 1922 they founded the Johnson Flying Service to manage and control the flying end of the business. Weekend and holiday passenger service carrying specials were initiated which [[crossed out]] grew to the extent that [[/crossed out]] rapidly flourished and another ex-Curtiss pilot, Walter Lees, was added to the staff. Their business growth soon enabled them to also employ the well known aeronautical engineer, Ivan Driggs, who proceeded to design and supervise the construction of some new Johnson aircraft. The first of there was the Model D-J-1 Johnson-Driggs light plane for the 1924 National Air Races held in Dayton, Ohio, in October 1924.This competitive event, sponsored by the Dayton Daily News, was the first contest for light planes in the United States. Engine piston displacement was limited to 80 cubic inches and the race was for 25 miles from a standing start. Called the "Bumble Bee," the Johnson-Driggs D-J-1 was a high-wing, full-cantilever monoplane [[strikethrough]] of [[/strikethrough]] with a 27-foot span, [[strikethrough]] using [[/strikethrough]] and a 4 cylinder Henderson motor cycle engine. The total weight of the plane [[strikethrough]] being [[/strikethrough]] was 325 pounds. This 2
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.