Viewing page 18 of 38

tests for pilot licenses in November, 1912 along with H. Roy Waite, at Saugus, but the licenses had not [[strikethrough]] yet [[/strikethrough]] been issued. After landing in the Common, the Aero Club of America held up missing Jones' license due to his infraction of rules by making a landing in a public park. Jones' Manager, Toy, was so disturbed by the decision of the Aero Club that he asked them to return the fees and forget it. This action on Toy's part cost Jones his right and privilege of the early license [[strikethrough]] as [[/strikethrough]] he deserved.

Toy then made arrangements for Jones to make a flight to New York, still determined to help him get started. On January 8, 1913 Jones was sworn in as a U.S. Mail Carrier by Boston Postmaster E.C. Mansfield designating Jones as a Special Air Parcel Post Carrier on "Experimental" Route No. 604603 from Boston to New York with stops at Providence, Rhode Island, New London, New Haven, and Bridgeport, Connecticut and New York.

On January 13 Jones started on this flight from Franklin Park, Boston, carrying 25 pounds of parcel post and letters to some of the Mayors along the route. He also carried packages of Boston Baked Beans which he planned to distribute to his stops. He reached Providence the first day all in good order, but when he attempted to take off for New London on January 16 he bogged down in soft ground and smashed up, wrecking in plane although he was not injured. This necessitated major repairs to the plane [[strikethrough]] and [[/strikethrough]] so he was not able to leave there until February 15. From that point on he was beset with fog, bad weather and inexperience, making very slow progress, but he did not give up. His next stop was Mystic, Connecticut where he spent the night. Leaving Mystic in the next morning, February 16, he flew over New London and landed at the Connecticut National Guard Camp grounds at Niantic, Connecticut. Due to weather conditions he was not able to leave there until February 28, when he flew to New Haven and landed on the football field at Yale University. Jones could not get away from there until March 4 when he flew to Bridgeport, landing at Black Rock in a western

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact