Viewing page 19 of 38

section of the city. He left Bridgeport March 5 and flew to Rye, New York landing on the golf course. Weather again delayed him until March 9 when he left Rye and headed for Governors Island, his final destination. While  flying at about 1300 feet five miles west of Rye his engine quit. Descending he encountered some very gusty air near the ground, hit a sea wall and came to rest in some flats off shore. Jones was not injured but his plan was badly wrecked. Discouraged, he made the last thirteen miles of his journey by rail to New York where he faithfully delivered the parcel post to the Postmaster.

Again he had to rebuild his plane, and on March 22 left Rye at midnight to fly to Governors Island. This was probably the first midnight cross-country flight ever attempted in the United States. All went well as he flew over the Bronx and Harlem and down over Manhattan. There he encountered a stiff westerly breeze which flew him off course. He became confused and made a landing on the south shore of Long Island, near the present Idelwild Airport, after being in the air about an hour. Again he failed to reach his destination, but had enjoyed the midnight flight. On March 25 he left there, flew over Brooklyn and landed on Governors Island to finally complete his trip. It had taken him 56 days to fly the 230 miles, due largely to fogs, winter weather, his inexperience and the hazards of cross-country flying at that early period, but he had delivered the [[strikethrough]] FIRST [[/strikethrough]] first authorized Air Parcel Post ever to be flown between those two major cities.

On April 5 Jones made a flight over Manhattan, then shipped his plane back to Providence, where on April 25 he flew over a ball game in progress at Rocky Point Baseball Field, and dropped a small parachute to which was tied a message of good wishes to the Providence team. On this flight a spark plug wire came off, forcing him to land nearby in about four feet of water. This resulted in a smash up but he was not injured. In the wreck the engine was submerged in salt water. [[strike through]] and [[/strike through]] After getting the plane out it caught fire and burned when he 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact