Viewing page 15 of 17

flying round trip circuits from Atlantic City to Bay Head, New Jersey. After completing two round trips and starting a third, totaling about 300 miles, he was forced to [[strikethrough]] land [[/strikethrough]] alight on the water with engine trouble [[strikethrough]] after about 300 miles [[/strikethrough]] which, prevented further flying that day. Well-known Frank Kills [[strikethrough]] was then [[/strikethrough]] had been Kendrick's co-pilot-mechanic and assisted in the preparation for this event. Following this first trial Kendrick announced he would make a later attempt to establish a better record. 
On October 28th Kendrick and Kills started again on a flight for the trophy, from Albany, New York, to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, a distance of 750 miles. Their course was to be down the Hudson River and along the coasts of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. They planned to stop twice for refueling, at Bay Head, New Jersey, and Ocean City, Maryland, and expected to make the flight within ten hours. They left Albany at 8:30 a.m. and all went well until about 11:00 a.m. when they landed at Edwin Gould's yacht pier near New York City to tighten some wires. While there they refueled and as a result did not stop at Bay Head, which they passed at 1:00 p.m. 
Flying conditions remained satisfactory until they reached [[strikethrough]] were off of the Delaware Capes where they began to encounter fog banks and [[strikethrough]] serious trouble started [[/strikethrough]]. They pressed on and for two hours tried to extricate [[strikethrough]] themselves [[strikethrough]] from [[strikethrough]] maintain their course through the intense fog by turning both seaward and to shore, and also by climbing to higher altitudes, to no avail. With their gas [[strikethrough]] fuel running low they were finally forced to land [[strikethrough]] alight on the sea and await rescue. After fearing they might have to spend the night adrift, the fog began to lift about 4:00 p.m. and a bit later they were able to see a fishing boat some two miles away. Using the last of their gas, Kendrick taxied to the boat where he obtained some fuel. Leaving [[strikethrough]] there [[strikethrough]] Taking off they landed [[strikethrough]] arrived at Ocean City, Maryland, at 5:30 p.m. after a total of 360 miles, thoroughly soaked and quite exhausted from their misty exposure, Before they could make another try, a bad hole was torn in the bottom of the hull forcing them to abandon the trophy  event for the season. In spite of their misfortune Kendrick made a splendid flight and undoubtedly would have won the event if they had not encountered such extremely bad flying conditions. 
Later Kendrick was awarded the Aero Club of America Medal of Merit for 
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact