Viewing page 36 of 43
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
Kirkham 4-cylinder 22 [[strikethrough]]H.P.[[/strikethrough]] hp revised automobile engine. Called the Kirkham-Eells, this plane was completed in July and [[strikethrough]] there is evidence that [[/strikethrough]] both men started learning to fly it. By late August Eells was flying well and he took on an exhibition engagement for September 15th-16th at the Naples Fair in New York [[strikethrough]] Fair [[/strikethrough]] where he successfully made two flights each day. It is not known to what extent Kirkham flew this plane but his interest was probably purely for sport and to test his engines in the air. During August the Kirkham-Eells Aeroplane Company was formed at Bath and September issues of the aviation magazines [[circled word]] advertized [[end circled word]] "Complete planes built to order, engines, propellers and exhibition engagements arranged"[[line indicating move quotation mark to outside the period]]. In September it was announced that the Bath Motor Manufacturing Company was incorporated, taking over the former Kirkham Motor Company. In the summer of 1910 Tod Schriver, a former Curtiss employee, and H.J. Dietz formed the Hempstead Aeroplane Company on Long Island, New York, and were building a Curtiss-type biplane, powered by a revised Kirkham 6-cylinder automobile engine. By late fall Schriver was flying his plane on exhibition engagements. As 1910 ended Kirkham was in the process of making his first engine designed especially for airplane use. It was to be a lightweight 6-cylinder water-cooled 50 [[strikethrough]]H.P.[[/strikethrough]] hp unit weighing about 235 pounds complete. The annual National Auto Show was held that winter at Grand Central Palace, New York City from December 31, 1910 to January 7, 1911, and for the first time some aviation exhibits were included. The Kirkham-Eells Company displayed one of their 4-cylinder auto engines revised for flying and some of the parts of their new 6-cylinder aircraft engine, including components of the new concentric valve arrangement to be used. This ingenious valving design consisted of both intake and exhaust valves being assembled coaxially with the intake valve in the center, allowing the cool intake charge to be conducted through the exhaust valve, thereby effectively cooling this troublesome engine part. Kirkham patented this design feature and it was successfully used in his aircraft engines for several years. The Kirkham-Eells partnership was dissolved in late January 1911, then in February, Kirkham resigned as manager of the Bath Motor Company to devote his 4
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.