Viewing page 38 of 43

While at Bath, on October 31st [[strikethrough]] Thomas Brothers Company pilot Walter [[/strikethrough]] Johnson established a new American Endurance Record [[strikethrough]] with passenger of 3 [[/strikethrough]] , flying three hours [[strikethrough]] , 50 [[/strikethrough]] and fifty minutes [[strikethrough]] at bath, flying [[/strikethrough]] while carrying a passenger, a Thomas Brothers plane powered by a Kirkham 65 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp. engine. On November 4th a Thomas Brothers school student, Charles Niles, almost broke the American Endurance Record [[strikethrough]] at Bath by flying [[/strikethrough]] for a person flying alone. [[strikethrough]] This was [[/strikethrough]] He accomplished this at Bath, [[strikethrough]] being up [[/strikethrough]] flying for [[strikethrough]] 4 [[/strikethrough]] four hours [[strikethrough]] , 45 [[/strikethrough]] and forty five minutes with the same Kirkham-powered plane Johnson had used.

In January, 1913, Kirkham announced a 6-cylinder 70 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp. engine with a propeller-speed reduction gear. In February he took over the assets of the Rex Aeroplane Company of Staten Island, New York, and moved those operations to Savona. Shortly after this the Kirkham Airplane and Motor Company was incorporated at Savona by C. B. Kirkham, S. L. Vaughn and E. H. Skinner who was formerly with the Rex Company. The new firm advertized "Engines, Aeroplanes, and Flying Boats." Planes must have been built or acquired, for later that spring a flying school was announced, with the well-known exhibition pilot, Art Smith, as instructor.

The engine business decreased considerably in 1913 when a number of competitive engines appeared on the market. The heyday of public exhibition flying was on the wane, fewer planes were built and the aviation business was in somewhat of a slump. During [[strikethrough]] the [[/strikethrough]] that year Kirkham redesigned his 6-cylinder 50 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp. engine and [[strikethrough]] rated [[/strikethrough]] increased it to 65 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp. Known as the Model D, it had dual ignition, two magnetos, two carburetors, and an improved pressure lubrication system especially designed for inverted and acrobatic flying. 

This new engine was first advertised in early 1914. [[strikethrough]] and [[/strikethrough]] Art Smith made his first loops with one at Fort Wayne, Indiana, on June 26th, and for some time continued to use this engine in his extensive exhibition tours of looping and acrobatic flying. Business did not improve and the last Kirkham ad from Savona appeared in the August aviation magazines.

At that time he apparently dissolved the company and made a deal to sell the assets, for in September an ad appeared stating that "C. B. Kirkham is now associated with the Aeromarine Plane and Motor Company of Avondale, New Jersey" and that they would continue to manufacture the well known line of Kirkham engines. For a time Aeromarine did utilize some of [[strikethrough]]what they had acquired[[/strikethrough]] Kirkham's abilities, but [[strikethrough]]Kirkham[[/strikethrough]] he evidently 

6
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.