Viewing page 44 of 57

ment two new Laird "Swallows," a large quantity of spare parts, and the Laird dealership for Oklahoma. Since Burke had been doing all the flying, Laird hired his old friend George E. "Buck" Weaver as replacement. All seemed to be going well when Laird and Weaver left in April, 1921, to fly a new Swallow to the West Coast to establish dealers there. While they were gone Moellendeck hired Walter Beech as pilot and placed him in charge of all flying operations. Very shortly Beech wrecked a new Laird Swallow and two other pilots who were hired at that time also had smashups. After some six to eight months Laird and Weaver returned from the West Coast and Moellendeck requested Weaver's resignation although he had a clean "no breakage" flying record. This, together with the series of crackups by the new pilots, started a breach between Laird and Moellendeck that kept widening until conditions became so unbearable that Laird resigned in 1923 and sold his interest to Moellendeck, including the trade name "Swallow." During the period Laird had been in Wichita he also designed and built four other planes, the Laird "Limozine" with two Curtiss OX engines, the clipped wing Laird "Swallow Racer," the Laird "Swallow" with a 150 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engine, and the single engine "Limozine" with a 300 h.p. Packard engine, which was a conversion of the twin OX-engined airplane. 

Following his resignation and settlement of business affairs at Wichita, Laird returned to Chicago where he again organized the E. M. Laird Airplane Company Incorporators were : E. M. Laird, President; Lee Hammond, Vice President, and Charles Arens, Secretary. The Illinois Corporation Law required a minimum of three stockholders so Laird issued one share each, gratis, to Hammond and Arens, both of whom were non-active in the firm. Laird financed the new company personally, His first plane was called the "Laird Commercial," a biplane for pilot and two passengers, with a Curtiss OX-5 engine. Later this plane was redesigned and powered by a Wright 9-cylinder radial air-cooled engine. These planes were widely used both in competition and airmail service. Laird planes rapidly gained an enviable reputation and national prominence through the 1930's and 

8.

Transcription Notes:
.This page included handwritten corrections to the original which have been incorporated into the transcription. Instead of those handwritten corrections, strikethrough could be a better option. There are check marks next to lines where changes are to be made, in the text. I did not indicate them here though.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.