Viewing page 5 of 10

Following this Lampkey flew free for the weekend visitors at Hempstead for the remainder of the season to get in flying practice, then in 1913 he became a member of the 1st Aero Corps, Signal Corps, U.S. Army, where he remained through 1914, first stationed at North Island, San Diego, California, then later in Honolulu.
Early in 1915 Lamkey obtained a release from the Army to join Glenn Martin at Los Angeles.  There Martin sent him to Mexico to deliver and demonstrate a Martin Model TT tractor biplane to General Villa.  After the demonstration Villa accepted the plane and hired Lamkey to fly it.  With Lester Barlow as his bomber-observer Lamkey made a few flights, then had a forced landing with burned out engine bearings. Lamkey and Barlow escaped injury but the plane was badly damaged.  The wreck was loaded on a flat car to ship it back to the United States for repairs.  Lamkey and Barlow decided to get out of there and escaped by hiding in the fuselage, only to be shot at as the opposing forces attempted to stop the train.
Remaining with Glenn Martin through 1915, Lamkey then joined the Navy and was sent to the flight school at Pensacola, Florida early in 1916 for a course in water flying.  After this he served as a Naval flying instructor until he was sent to France in World War I, stationed at the seacoast town of LeCroisic, in charge of a flying boat patrol squadron.  While there Lamkey was forced down at sea and one wing was torn off his plane in landing.  Two days later he taxied into base after a long slow journey on the water.
After World War I Lamkey was assigned to the Navy's Airship Base at Lakehurst, New Jersey at the time of the Shenandoah and Type "C" dirigibles, and remained in Navy service until 1929 when he became a civil aircraft inspector for the Aeronautics Branch, Department of Commerce, first at the Nicholas-Beazley Aircraft Company, Marshall, Missouri.  He remained in this service until his retirement in 1959 at which time he was at the Lockheed plant in Burbank, California.
While visiting friends near San Diego, California in October, 1961 he was taken ill and went into the Veterans' Naval Hospital at San Diego where he suffered a stroke which left him partially paralyzed and with loss of speech.  In mid-December, 1961 he was transferred to the Briarwood Rest Home at Encino, California by his daughter, where he suffered a second stroke and passed away on January 7, 1962,

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact