Viewing page 17 of 27

west dates. In the Spring of 1915 she was at Louisville, Ky., carrying passengers in April, and in June made a series of flights in Cincinnati, Ohio, for the local Auto Club. In July she flew in Dayton, Ohio, for a Mail Carriers' Convention, substituting for Katherine Stinson who was unable to appear. Early in September she flew for one week at the Kentucky State Fair, with George Mayland as a parachute Jumper. In October she flew at Louisiana State Fair at Shreveport, La. 

In November, 1915, she sold her Burgess Wright and in January, 1916, was back in Florida for the winter season with a new loop model Curtiss pusher, fitted with Wright controls, with which she was accustomed. There Miss Law started looping, and on January 17th gave a public exhibition of looping and acrobatic flying at Daytona Beach which created quite a sensation. In late April, 1916, she was at Hammondsport, N.Y., where her exhibitions of acrobatic flying and looping had every one watching at the Curtiss flying field. May 20-28 Miss Law flew in the Aircraft Military tournament at Sheepshead Bay, L.I. There she was second in altitude, ascending to 11,200 feet, and also won second place in bomb dropping contests. In July she flew for the Conference of Associated Advertising Clubs in Chicago, and July 27-28-29 at a local celebration at Downs, Kansas. IN mid-August she was at Fargo, D.D., September 26-28 at the Olmsted Country Fair at Rochester, Minn., and October 2-14 at the International Wheat Show at Wichita, Kansas. 

On November 19-20, 1916, Miss Law made the big flight of her career. Without fanfare or previous publicity, she flew from Chicago to New York in the open Curtiss plane which she had been using for some time in looping exhibition work. It was equipped with a Curtiss OX engine and carried only 53 gallons of gas. A crude small streamlined shielding had been made around her feet and limbs as protection from the cold. This flight was a great personal achievement. With no navigation accessories, and lacking experience in cross country flying, she established a new American distance record of 590 miles. Leaving Grant Park, Chicago, at 8:25 A.M. she flew by way of Gary, Ind., Port Clinton and Cleveland, Ohio, Erie, Pa., Olean, N.Y. and landed at Hornell, N.Y. at 4:20, where she spent the night. Leaving there at 7:23 A.M. the next morning, she arrived at Governors Island, N.Y. at 2:10 P.M. She left Hornell at 3:24 P.M. and landed at Binghampton, N.Y. at 4:20, where she spend the night. Leaving there at 7:23 A.M. the next morning, she arrived at Governors Island, N.Y. at 9:37 A.M. November 20th, and was met by a cheering group of civic and aviation dignitaries. After brief greeting ceremonies she went to the home of Mrs. Carl F. Hartman on Long Island where she had Breakfast and was interviewed by press representatives. 

Some mail and special messages had been carried on this flight, which broke the previous nonstop cross country record of 452 miles made by Curtiss Co. pilot Victor Carlstrom on November 2, 1916, when he was forced to land at Erie, Pa., while also attempting a Chicago to New York flight. A reception was given in Miss Law's honor at the Aero Club of America on the afternoon of November 23rd, where she received the compliments of many aviation authorities on her marvelous achievement. On the evening of December 2nd a dinner was given in her honor at the Hotel Waldorf in New York, which was attended by President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, several Cabinet members from Washington, ranking Army and Navy officers and many aviation dignitaries. She was also the center of interest at a night ceremony attendant upon the illumination of the Statue of Liberty for the first time, while in New York, giving about a 20 minute flight of aerial gymnastics with her plane illuminated with the work LIBERTY. Flying about the Statue and over the harbor, she circled the Yacht MAYFLOWER bearing President and Mrs. Wilson. On December 18th a dinner was given in her honor by the New York Civic Forum at the Hotel Astor. 

In January, 1917, Miss Law sailed for Europe to study aviation there for six or eight weeks. In April she was back and offered her services to the Government. During May she did recruiting duty for the Government in Chicago, and in June she dropped Liberty Loan Bombs on several mid-western cities. Early in July a huge crowd saw her perform and race Miss Elfrida Mais at the Fair Grounds in St. Paul, Minn. On September 28, 1917 she set a new women's altitude record of 14,700 feet at Peoria, Ill. In mid-October she gave a series of exhibitions for the soldiers at camp McClean, Ala. In November she was in Washington, D. C. attempting to get a commission, but was turned down, so she gave a series of exhibition flights there in an attempt
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact