Viewing page 22 of 27

Army and Navy officers and many dignitaries. She was also the center of interest at a night ceremony illuminating [[strikethrough]] of [[/strikethrough]] the Statue of Liberty for the first time. During a 20 minute flight of aerial gymnastics with her plane illuminated with the word "Liberty," she circled the Statue flew over the harbor, and around the Yacht "Mayflower" bearing President and Mrs. Wilson. On December 18th a dinner was given in her honor by the New York City Forum at the Hotel Astor. 

In January, 1917, Miss Law sailed for Europe to study aviation there for six or eight weeks. In April she was back and directly after America's declaration of war [[strikethrough]]s[[/strikethrough]] offered her services to the Government. During May she did recruiting duty for the Government in Chicago, and in June she dropped Liberty Loan leaflets on several midwestern [[strikethrough]]-[[/strikethrough]] cities. Early in July a huge [[strikethrough]]h[[/strikethrough]] crowd saw her race Miss Elfrida Mais at the Fairgrounds in St. Paul, Minnesota. On September 28, 1917, she set a new women's altitude record of 14,700 feet at Peoria, Illinois, then in mid-October she gave a series of exhibitions for the soldiers at Camp McClellan, Alabama. In November she was in Washington, D.C., [[strikethrough]]at[[/strikethrough]] attempting to get a commission, but was turned down, so she gave a series of exhibition flights there in an effort to persuade members of Congress to consider her request [[strikethrough]]r[[/strikethrough]] to enter the Air Service, but they, too, ruled against it because she was a woman. 

During May, 1918, she gave a series of exhibitions at midwestern cities in the interest of the Red Cross campaign. On May 30th she raced Katherine Stinson at Sheepshead Bay, New York. During the war[[strikethrough]]s[[/strikethrough]] to aid the [[strikethrough]]B[[/strikethrough]]Liberty Loan drive in several cities, she did some flying at night, with the work "Liberty" outlined in lights on her plane. 

After the war she traveled to Japan, China, and the Philippine Islands, and there, in April, 1919, carried the first airmail at Manila and was given an award for her achievement. In February, 1920, she signed up with stunt pilot Al Wilson to give exhibitions with his troupe for the season. 

In 1922 she retired from flying, to live in retirement as Mrs. Charles Oliver in Beverly Hills, California. Hers was a brilliant career in pioneer flying, richly

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact