Viewing page 14 of 27

planes. This school was known as the Atlantic Coast Aeronautical Station, and was under the management of Capt. Thomas S. Baldwin, veteran airman and close friend of Glenn Curtiss. This field soon became a major Curtiss training center and consisted of a dirt strip about 200 foot wide and 3,000 feet long, with some old buildings and good water frontage. At its height seven instructors used it from daylight till dark (except Sundays) without serious mishaps. Many of the students were Canadians, sent by the Government for flight training. After completing the course the usually returned to Canada and joined the R.A.F. also trained were numerous U.S. National Guardsmen and Army Reserves. The class, as a rule, consisted of thirty or more, and in early spring of 1916 Lees assisted in the instruction of Vernon Castle, the well known dancer. [[crossed out]] as well as that of [[/crossed out]] Later that year Lees was one of the instructors of Major William Mitchell who was taking lessons on weekends [[crossed out]] as a civilian [[/crossed out]], while [[crossed out]] an Army Officer [[\crossed out]] stationed in Washington, D.C. [[crossed out]] Later he personally [[/crossed out]] Lees soloed [[crossed out]] Major [[/crossed out]] "Billy" Mitchell during the spring months of [[crossed out]] 1916 [[/crossed out]] 1917.

On March 10th, 1916 Lees flew a Curtiss flying boat [[crossed out]] from [[/crossed out]] powered by an OX engine from Newport News, Virginia to Washington, D.C., carrying Charles Pond as a passenger, making one stop at Lewisetta, Virginia for gas. He remained in Washington for about two weeks flying for the Curtiss Company, then flew back to Newport News. August 26th he attended a family picnic for all Curtiss employees at Erie Beach, Buffalo, where he was one of several company pilots taking employees and their families for rides in [[crossed out]] [[?]] [[/crossed out]] seaplanes and flying boats. They were kept busy all afternoon and evening, but it was impossible to take every one up. Lees [[crossed out]] was an [[/crossed out]] continued as instructor at Newport News through 1916 and into 1917. [[crossed out]] then [[/crossed out]] On February 21st he obtained his regular pilot license, No. 660, then on March his Expert pilot license, No 79.

When World War 1 broke out, Lees answered the call for civilian instructors and served at the following government flying fields: Ashburn-Chicago, Chanute, Selfridge, Ellington, Gerstner and Brooks, then finished the last eight months as an experimental test pilot at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio. After the war [[crossed out]]was over [[/crossed out]] he returned to Curtiss until October, 1919 as a test and demonstration
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact