Viewing page 12 of 33

attached controllable paddles to the wind floats to facilitate positive turning control on the water. 

Encouraged by these tests Loening then built a [[strikethrough]] second [[/strikethrough]] nearly all-metal 40-foot span monoplane flying boat, powered by a new 50 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] h.p., geared engine built by Henry M. Crane of the Crane-Simplex Auto Company. When completed this craft was also taken to Seidlers Beach where, following only a brief hop or two, the plane was completely demolished in a sudden wind storm. 

[[strikethrough]] Following his employment by the Queen Aeroplane Company Loening joined the [[/strikethrough]] On May 30, 1912, Wilbur Wright died. His surviving brother, Orville, engaged Loening as an assistant. He joined the Wright Company at Dayton, Ohio on July 14, 1913. [[strikethrough]] as assistant to Orville Wright. [[/strikethrough]] There Loening [[strikethrough]] was credited with [[/strikethrough]] participated in the design and development of two Wright Flying Boats. The first one, called the Wright Model G, was a short-hull type, seating two side by side, with the engine behind the seats driving the [[strikethrough]] normal [[/strikethrough]] Wright twin propellers by chain transmission. This craft was built and flown during the end of 1913. 

Immediately following was a re-designed version of this plane, moving the engine ahead of the seats which were moved back between the wings, [[strikethrough]] This plane [[/strikethrough]] and raising the tail plane to clear the spray thrown back from the hull. This plane was built for the Navy and tests were flown on Lake Erie at Toledo, Ohio by pioneer aviator Harry N. Atwood during March, 1914. A second flying boat of this latest type was also sold to Atwood for his personal use. At Dayton Loening also acted as official Aero Club of America observer for pilot license tests by Wright Flying School students. He also designed an advanced form of amphibian flying boat but it was not constructed. 

Loening resigned from the Wright Company in July, 1914 to become aeronautical engineer for the Aviation Section, Signal Corps at North Island, San Diego. [[strikethrough]] California. [[/strikethrough]] There he soon condemned all of the Wright and Curtiss pusher type planes as unsafe in order to put a stop to the rash of fatal crashes which were plaguing the Service. In an effort to get better and safer planes Loening visited Glenn Martin at Los Angeles to inspect his new Model T tractor [[strikethrough]] machine [[/strikethrough]] airplane and was favorably impressed. After further tests the [[strikethrough]] first [[/strikethrough]] Martin planes were accepted for military use at North Island. While there Loening established an Engineering Division of the Aviation Section that grew into a permanent part of 

3

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.