Viewing page 19 of 54

[[stamp on left of page]] 
[[end of stamp]] 

vard, New York in early July and the company began booking exhibitions, under the name of McCurdy-Willard Aviators. More planes were under construction, and Willard flew the first one at Utica, New York on July 23d. July 27th to August 1st both McCurdy and Willard flew at Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, then on August 2d they raced each other on a 40-mile cross-country flight to Toronto. There they flew exhibitions until August 6th when McCurdy had a smashup, but was not injured. 

On August 9th McCurdy was at Lexington, Kentucky, and while there he flew to neighboring Winchester and return. He then went to Chicago Meet at Grant Park, held August 12th to 20th, and was an active daily contestant. September 2d to 4th he was at Louisville, Kentucky, then at the Nassau Boulevard Meet in New York September 23d to October 2d. Doc Wildman was also flying a McCurdy-Willard plane there at that time. McCurdy then started south, flying at Hattiesburg, Mississippi on October 5th and Natchez, Mississippi October 20th and 21st. Starting November 16tth McCurdy and Willard were at Mexico City, Mexico. This evidently was his last date of the season, and the McCurdy-Willard Company venture appears to have ended that fall. 

McCurdy then decided to take a well earned rest from flying, and as it turned out later, gave up exhibition work entirely after 1911. 

Between March 1st and the 17th, McCurdy made a number of straightaway test hops in a Bell kite, the Cygnet III, at Braddeck, Nova Scotia, using a 70 H.P. Gnome engine. Occasionally during that summer he was at Hammondsport watching flying boat developments and doing some flying.

In the spring of 1913 a number of well known wealthy American sportsmen bought Curtiss flying boats for sport and pleasure. Among them was George von Utassy of New York who engaged McCurdy to take charge of the craft, fly it and teach him to fly. In July McCurdy was at Hammondsport overseeing the completion of this boat and later that month Utassy arrived to take some initial instruction. In early August the new boat was at Long Beach, New York where McCurdy was busy carrying distinguished passengers and chauffering Utassy about the various Long Island Yacht Clubs. Named the BARBETTA, it was a standard 1913 model machine with the latest Curtiss OX 90-100 H.P. engine. Together they spent an active season scouring the 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact