Viewing page 20 of 54

[[left margin]]
[[left margin]]

many bays and watering nooks of Long Island Sound and cruising about the south shore and the harbor of New York.  McCurdy flew for Utassy again during the summer of 1914.

In March, 1915 McCurdy was head of the new Canadian Curtiss Company in Toronto, and in April a flying school was established there to train Canadian military aviators.  The entire setup grew rapidly.  McCurdy was in complete charge of the Curtiss Canadian interests and a member of the Board of Directors of the Curtiss Company.  A number of ex-Curtiss pilots were soon employed as instructors, both land and water training were given, and it is recorded that a very large number of students were trained for the World War I program.  

A sizable factory was established and on a visit to England McCurdy was awarded a contract to build a twin-engine bomber.  Call the CANADA it was an 80-foot span, double fuselage type biplane having two 160 H.P. tractor Curtiss engines, designed to carry 2,00 pounds load.  The first plane was successfully flight tested in September by Tony Jannus at Toronto and the company later produced a number of them, as well as many of the Canadian version of the well known Jennies, known as CANUCKS.

After World War I McCurdy formed the Reid Aircraft Company in Montreal, which was later merged with the Curtiss Company to become the Curtiss-Reid Aircraft, LTD. to manufacture planes.  The name soon was know the world over, McCurdy was President, and he continued in this capacity until 1939.  During the 1930's he did considerable world traveling in the interests of aviation and played a part in the establishing Trans-Canada Airlines.

During World War II McCurdy resigned his industrial post to work for the Government, where he became Supervisor of Purchasing and Assistant Director of Aircraft Production.  His performance while holding this position was so outstanding that he was made a "Member of the Order of the British Empire".  A higher honor was yet to come, as in 1947 McCurdy was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia.  he retired from this post in 1952 and later made his home in Ottawa, Canada.

McCurdy died of pneumonia in a hospital in Montreal June 25th, 1961 at age

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact