Viewing page 30 of 54

After Havana, McCurdy flew at Color, Cuba, then on February 17th at Tampa, Florida with Beacher, and February 24th to March 6th at Palm Beach, Florida.  Whine there McCurdy again engaged in some wireless experiments with DeForrest engineer Forcy G. B. Korris.  McCurdy carried Korriss as a passenger to receive messages from a station on the ground and from vessels off shore.
March 9th to 11th McCurdy Flew at Wilmington, North Carolina with Beachey, then on the 17th he was at Washington, D.C., where before a large assembly of Government officials he demonstrated the first Curtiss plane sold to the Army.  On March 25th he flew at Pinchurst, North Carolina with Beachey and the 28th to 30th at Daytona Beach, Florida, then on April 2d he was at St. Augustine, Florida.  April 12th and 13th he flew at Knoxville, Tennessee, 27th to 29th at Nashville, Tennessee with Ward and Beachey, then at Washington, D.C. May 4th to 7th with Beachey and Robinson, on May 11th to 14th McCurdy and Beachey flew at Bridgeport, Connecticut.  There on the 14th McCurdy assisted with further wireless experiments from his plane in flight.  Those tests were conducted and supervised by Lt. Fickel of the U.S. Army.  During the tests McCurdy's signals were received at the World Building in New York City, 55 miles away.
May 19th and 19th McCurdy and Beachey flew at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania with Beachey and Ward.  June 8th and 9th he was at Springfield, Massachusetts and June 15th to 20th at Buffalo, New York with Beachey and Witmer.
Just before that time McCurdy announced that he was leaving Curtiss to build a new plane and go into business with Charles Willard.  June 25th he was flying at Mineola, New York and his fist new plane was under construction by the Queen Aeroplane Comapny of New York.  There is evidence that early Curtiss mechanic and student pilot F.A. "Doc" Wildman was supervising this work and later did some flying of these machines.
The McCurdy-Willard Aeroplane Company of New York was formed to build and market the new plane and give exhibitions.  The machine was a headless pusher biplane with Farican-type landing gear and powered by a 50 hp. 7-cylinder Gnome engine.  McCurdy conducted first flight tests of the new plane at Nassau Boule-
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact