Viewing page 18 of 59

who were missing on an attempted flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco the day before. No trace of the missing man was found, and Martin had a narrow escape when he was forced to land out of gas on very rough water. As 1912 ended the factory was busy and again had to increase floor space, the schools were going well and a few of the graduates bought planes. During this year martin carried many passengers, including his mother.

During January and February, 1913 Martin did considerable cross-country flying in the Los Angeles area and started the development of a new tractor biplane using a 50 H.P. Gnome engine. He was also working with a well now west coast balloonist, Charles Broadwick, to try to devise a way to make a safe parachute drop from a Martin plane. Their arrangement was very similar to the practice being used in drops from balloons where the jumper is already sitting in the trapeze and the chute being pulled out of a container as he falls.

Martin tested the first of the new tractor machine sin April, and in May Charles Day's small aircraft company in Los Angeles was merged with the Glenn L. Martin Company  and Day returned as General Superintendent. Shortly after this Martin entered the 1913 Great lakes Reliability Cruise, a competitive event for water flying craft, from Chicago to Detroit via the shore line of the great lakes through the Straits of Mackinaw, and the design and construction of a new plane especially for this event started at once. During June Martin and Broadwick completed preparations for a parachute drop and on the 21st Tiny Broadwick made the first descent from Martin's plane at Griffith Park, Los Angeles.

Following this Martin and Charles Day left for Chicago with the new Great Lakes Cruise plane. Called the Martin Aeroyacht, it was a 38 foot span tractor biplane with an 80 H.P. Curtiss engine and designed for either land gear or single float undercarriage. They arrived in Chicago on July 5th and Day was to accompany Martin as his mechanic on the Cruise. Five contestants were entered in the event and in their rush to get ready Martin had a mishap with the plane which delayed their scheduled start. A severe storm in the area almost put an end to the vent on July 8th. Martin was not ready to start until the next morning, then he and 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact