Viewing page 33 of 59
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
resigned on August 17, 1917, and returned to California.The following month a group of Cleveland, Ohio businessmen financed Martin to form a new Glenn L. Martin Company there, and a new factory and flying field were made ready for World War I aircraft production. At this time Martin was requested to give up flying and apparently never flew against as a pilot. Martin persuaded Douglas to return as Chief Engineer and work was started on a twin Liberty- engined bomber. Although too late for wartime production it was first flown in September 1918 and proved to be a very advanced machine. Several notable records were made with these famous planes after the war. Martin was firmly established as a prime contractor of military aircraft. The Cleveland business grew and many progressive developments came for the Army and Navy services. Martin produced torpedo planes, bombers, submarine scouts, observation types, and special planes for the Air Mail Service. In 922 the first Navy all-metal monoplanes and seaplanes were introduced. At Cleveland with MArtin were Donald Douglas, Larry Bell and J.A. Kindleberger, who later became head of North American in California. Erik Springer was well known as a test pilot. Martin bombers were used in the historic sinking of surrendered German Warships off the Virginia coast in 921, under the leadership of General "Billy Mitchell". At Cleveland, Martin's organization developed mass production techniques and large numbers of aircraft were built. By 1928 the facilities were overcrowded and the limit of possible expansion in that location had been reached. Martin decided to leave Cleveland. he chose Baltimore because it was Washington, D.C. for government contacts, and also close to Chesapeake Bay where he could test large seaplanes he had in mind. The Cleveland plant was sold to the Great Lakes Aircraft Corporation and Martin bought 1,200 acres of waterfront land at Middle River, 2 miles east of Baltimore. The land was cleared and one of the finest aircraft factories in the United States was built, then an airport was established adjoining the plant. On October 7th, 1929 his staff and 1,500 employees moved into the new plant of the Glenn L.Martin Company of Baltimore, where he truly made aviation history. During the years before World War II, the Martin Company developed and manufactured 9
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.