Viewing page 45 of 59
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
war. Martin was firmly established as a prime contractor of military aircraft. The Cleveland business grew and many progressive developments came for both the Army and Navy. Martin produced torpedo planes, bombers, submarine scouts, observation types, and special planes for the Air Mail Service. In 1922 the first Navy all-metal monoplanes and seaplanes were introduced. At Cleveland with Martin were Donald Douglas, Larry Bell and J. A. Kindelberger, who later became head of North American in California, and Erik Springer, who was well-known as a test pilot, Martin bombers were used in the historic sinking of surrendered German warships off the Virginia coast in 1921, under the leadership of General "Billy" Mitchell. At Cleveland, Martin's organization developed mass production techniques and large number of aircraft were built. By 1928 the facilities were overcrowded and the limit of possible expansion in that location had been reached, Martin decided to leave Cleveland. He chose Baltimore because it was near Washington, D.C., for government contacts, and also close to was near Washington, D.C., for government contacts, and also close to Chesapeake Bay where he could test the large seaplanes he had in mind. The Cleveland plant was sold to the Great Lakes Aircraft Corporation and Martin bought 1,200 acres of waterfront land at Middle River, 12 miles east of Baltimore. The land was cleared and one of the finest aircraft factories in the United States was built, then an airport was established adjoining the plant. On October 7, 1929, his staff and 1,500 employees moved into the new plant of the Glenn L. Martin Company of Baltimore, where he truly made aviation history. During the years before World War II the Martin Company developed and manufactured military and commercial aircraft. The B-10 bomber was a great advance over previous designs and was the subject of the Robert J. Collier Trophy Award for 1932. Orders were received from the Netherlands and Argentina, in addition to large orders from our own Army Air Corps. In 1934 10
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.