Viewing page 51 of 59

Just before this event aviatrix Blanche Scott started flying for Martin and was also a contestant. Martin and Miss Scott then flew at the Oakland California meet on February 17th to 25th.

That month the company also started a flying school and local businessmen began to show an interest in the Martin Company, including wealthy sportsman and aviation enthusiast Frank Garbutt. On March 30th Martin flew over Los Angeles for [[strikethrough]] 23 [[/strikethrough]] twenty-three minutes.  About that time Roy Knabenshue became his exhibition manager, and on April 13th and 14th Martin, Miss Scott and Charles Hamilton flew at Fresno, California. For some time Martin had wanted to attempt an over-water flight from Newport Beach to Catalina Island and return, which he accomplished successfully on May 12th, using the new Martin hydroplane. Unlike most exhibition aviators of that era Martin was always clean and neatly dressed, which earned him the title of "The Flying Dude." His planes also always attracted attention for their beautiful workmanship and finish. He never stunted but always gave a full measure of satisfaction wherever he exhibited. Shortly after the Catalina flight Charles Day left Martin to start a company of his own and was replaced by Charles Willard as chief engineer.

Martin flew at the Boston Massachusetts Meet June 29th to July 7th, then on August 5th to 9th he was at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan [[strikethrough]] Canada [[/strikethrough]], where he made a number of flights, one to 6,400 feet for a new Canadian altitude record.  He arrived at Cicero Field, Chicago, Illinois, on August 30th to prepare for the meet to be held there September 12th to 22nd. He flew his tests for Expert License on September 14th and was given Certificate No. 2 on October 2, 1912. He had been selected to fly a special plane, which had been hurriedly built by the Burgess Company, in the Gordon Bennett Race, but after seeing the machine he refused to fly it, but did compete in the land flying events at Cicero Field and the water flying at Grant Park, then on September 24th to 27th he flew at a fair in Wahpeton, North Dakota.

In December, 1912, the company started a float-plane [[strikethrough]] water [[/strikethrough]] flying school at Newport Bay, California, and Didier Masson was added to the staff as an instructor. On December 15th Martin made a hazardous flight in bad weather up the coast north of Los Angeles, carrying Frank Garbutt, in search of aviator Horace Kearney and Chester Lawrence,

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact