Viewing page 13 of 16

This transcription has been completed. Contact us with corrections.

and largest event of [[strikethrough]] the [[/strikethrough]] its kind in America and its success was due largely to Martin's efforts. He arranged for about $100,000 in prize money, which attracted a number of the world's leading aviators. Claude Grahame-White and A.V. Roe came from England, and Walter Brookins, Ralph Johnstone, Glenn Curtiss, Charles Willard and Clifford Harmon [[strikethrough]] comprised [[/strikethrough]] were the United States competitors. There were also contests for amateurs. Grahame-White [[strikethrough]] was [[/strikethrough]] became the headliner of this event with a Farman biplane and Bleriot monoplane and took home a large share of the prize money. 

During the event Martin became a close friend of Graham-White and made arrangements to go to England for flying instruction at his flying school at Hendon, near London. There Martin became a pupil about January 1 [[strikethrough]] st [[/strikethrough]], 1911, and was taught to fly on a Farman biplane with a 50 [[strikethrough]] H.P.[[/strikethrough]] h.p., Gnome engine. He made his first solo straightaway hop on January 14th, flew the necessary flights for his British license February 2nd and was granted Royal Aero Club F.A.I. Certificate No. 55 on February 7 [[strikethrough]] th [[/strikethrough]], 1911. Martin continued his practice and rapidly became a very skillful pilot, then on March 11th he made the first flight over London, at 3,000 feet, on a 75-mile flight from Hendon to Brooklands and return. He was [[strikethrough]] then [[/strikethrough]] soon carrying passengers and [[strikethrough]] was soon made [[/strikethrough]] became one of four instructors at the Graham-White school. At that time he was also flying the new Farman-type Baby biplanes just received from the Burgess Co. and Curtis of Marblehead, Massachusetts, U.S.A. Martin married an English lady that spring and taught her to fly; she became the first woman in England to do so. He did considerable flying while in Europe and gained an enviable reputation. 

Mr. and Mrs. Martin returned to the United States [[strikethrough]] on [[/strikethrough]] June 1 [[strikethrough]]st[[/strikethrough]], 1911, and he entered the Metz Aviation Meet at Waltham Field, Massachusetts, June 15th to 20th, flying a 50 h.p., Gnome-engined Farman-type biplane. Mrs. Martin [[strikethrough]] first flew [[/strikethrough]] made her first flight there on June 28th following the Meet, and also did a little flying on a Bleriot monoplane about that time. In July the Matins had a Farman-type plane at Nassau Boulevard, Long Island, and were flying actively. At that time he also arranged to have a new plane made to his specifications by the Queen Aeroplane Company of New York. Starting July


Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact