Viewing page 5 of 15


Selfridge Flying Field January 7th to 16th, where he entered the notice events. He was only making brief straightaway hops but was showing great promise. He continued his practice and later that winter took his plane to Oriville where he was soon making creditable flights. In April he had a bad smashup when the running gear caught the top of a large tree on take-off. He was using a safety belt and was not injured, but his plane was severely damaged. About this time the Shaffer Aero Manufacturing Company was sold to Ed. Thompson and Roy Scott, two San Francisco automobile men, and the name was changed to The California Aviation Company. Later in 1911 Meyerhoffer became affiliated with the new company in the supply business, and did considerable flying with his own machine. 

In the spring of 1912 he began flying a new Roberts-powered Curtiss-type pusher biplane for the California Aviation Company at their field at Easton, California. That season he filled several exhibition dates for the company, and in July was flying this plane at Sunset Field at Alameda, California. In August he flew at the Amador County Fair, using the Roberts Four-Curtiss. He was flying actively at Sunset Field through the fall and exhibited at Ingleside Park, San Francisco on November 24th. 

In 1913 Meyerhoffer continued his active flying and also was the West Coast correspondent for AIRCRAFT Magazine. In 1914 he tested several new planes made by the California Aviation Company. 

In 1916 Meyerhoffer spent the season carrying passengers at San Diego, California, using a hydroaeroplane. He was very active there and made an average of six to twenty flights a day and one day made forty-two. Occasionally he flew sports fishermen out to sea, first locating schools of fish from the air, then landing in the best spot to enjoy the sport. Later that year he established an unofficial altitude record of 19,000 feet at Los Angeles and was appointed Aerial Policeman at Venice, California. 

During World War I he was an instructor at west coast flying schools and in 1918 was chief in charge of the Riverside Aviation Company flying school at Riverside, California. In November of that year he did some flying for the Lougheed Aircraft Company of Santa Barbara, California. 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact