Viewing page 4 of 15

courage. Following this Schmitt kept his plane at the Fair Grounds through the remainder of 1910 where in spite of many trials and tribulations he succeeded in getting some limited flying experience. 

In early 1911 Schmitt wanted to get into exhibition work to make some money so he teamed up with Henry Thor to form the Thor-Schmitt Aviation Company, with an office in New York City, to arrange bookings. Thor was the advance man and booking manager and made arrangements for exhibition engagements. In May Schmitt had his plane at the Mineola, Long Island flying field where he was flying quite well in practice flights. He flew several exhibition dates that season, most of them at Fairs in the northeastern states, and had his first serious smashup at a Fair in Waterville, Maine on September 1st, but was not injured. While repairing his plane he installed a Hall-Scott 60 H.P. engine. On October 3d he had another smashup while flying at a Danbury, Connecticut Fair, making a forced landing in a swamp. He escaped with minor bruises but his plane was badly damaged.

Following this Thor evidently arranged for Schmitt to join Peter McLaughlin and aviator Todd Schriver on an exhibition tour of the West Indies, using a Baldwin "Red Devil" biplane owned by Mclaughlin. The troup left for San Juan, Puerto Rico in mid-November on what was intended to be an extended exhibition tour during the mid-winter months. Misfortune soon overtook them when Schriver was killed at Ponce, near San Juan, on December 2d. After this tragedy Todd and McLaughlin gave up the tour and every one returned to New York.

They went to Puerto Rico again in the early spring of 1912 where Schmitt flew their previously arranged West Indies engagements during the early spring months, flying a Baldwin biplane powered by a Rausenberger engine.

Schmitt was back flying at Mineola in June, planning an exhibition tour through the mid-west, and on July 13th he made two flights at DuBois, Pennsylvania. On July 20th he filled two dates in one day, first in the morning at Alliance, Ohio, then he flew cross-country to East Liverpool, Ohio, 60 miles, for a date, then returned to Alliance for an afternoon appearance. That day he was in the air 2 hours 50 minutes. On August 1st he started a 4-day engagement at Bellefountaine, Ohio, flying at the Logan County Fair. One day while there he also flew to Kenton, Ohio, 
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact