Viewing page 5 of 15

25 miles, for an exhibition, then returned to Bellefountaine. August 5th to 8th he was at Fort Recovery, Ohio at a Harvest Festival Celebration, where he carried authorized mail. Before the event was over he broke a crankshaft and aviator Earl Sandt came to finish the engagement. Following this Schmitt flew at Portsmouth, Hamilton, Coney Island and Hicksville, all in Ohio, before completing his tour. 

He then returned to Rutland where he flew at his home town Fall Fair on Labor Day week. Flying from the Fair Grounds where he learned to fly, for three days he put on a great show before throngs of people at his home community and was given banner headlines in the Rutland Herald.

That fall Thor and Schmitt again arranged for an extensive winter exhibition tour through the West Indies and the Caribbean. They left New York on November 2d on a tour to last through February, 1913, giving exhibitions and demonstrating their Rausenberger-powered Baldwin plane before Government officials. On this tour they were in the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Columbia, Trinidad, The Barbados and Brazil. The tour was completed without accidents and was a financial success, and they did not return until June. During this expedition Schmitt flew at many points before throngs of natives who had never seen an aeroplane before, and he received great acclaim everywhere. After returning he took a much needed rest and prepared to overhaul his plane and engine for fall engagements.

Again his townspeople engaged him to fly at their local Fair starting Labor Day, and arrangements were made for him to carry authorized mail during the event. A sub-station was provided at the Fairgrounds for collections and Schmitt was to fly the day's mail to a point near the Rutland Post Office where he would drop it for dispatch. On Monday, September 1st, Schmitt made 13 flights at the Fair, carrying several friends as passengers. 

On Tuesday, September 2d, he made several flights, carried the mail, then took off carrying a long time friend, J. D. Spellman. While flying at about 500 feet the motor began to mis-fire, and Schmitt throttled down, starting a glide for the Fairgrounds. Spellman became hysterical, rose from his seat and became tangled in the control wires, breaking the rudder control. He then seized the
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact