Viewing page 16 of 20

pusher biplane with a Kirkham 4-cylinder, 50 hp., [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] engine. By mid-May Niles was flying [[strikethrough]] wall [[/strikethrough]] capably and on June 10th he made a cross-country flight to Savona, New York, where the Kirkham Company did some work on the engine and fuel system, them Niles flew back to Bath the next day. He continued his practice and remained with Thomas Brothers through the mid-summer months. In late August he arranged to do some flying for the Curtiss Exhibition Company and his first assignment was at the New York State Fair, Syracuse, New York, on September 12th to 14th. Just prior to this event Niles flew his license tests, qualified and on November 6th was granted F.A.I. ticket No. 181. Also flying at the Fair were Beckwith Havens, Walter Johnson and William Hemstrought. Niles made a good showing in his first public exhibition flying, winning second place in a race on the 14th. His next exhibition was at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for Curtiss on September 17th, then back at the Tompkins County Fair at Glen Falls, New York, on September 19th. There he flew before 20,000 people and carried a passenger. Following this he returned to Thomas Brothers where, on November 4th, he set up a new American Endurance Record [[strikethrough]] 4 [[/strikethrough]] four hours and [[strikethrough]]45[[/strikethrough]] forty five minutes, flying a Thomas pusher biplane with a Kirkham 65 hp., [[strikethrough]]H.P.[[/strikethrough]] engine. He had intended to stay aloft longer but was forced to land with a burned out engine bearing. 

Niles evidently left the Thomas Brothers that fall and was at Hammondsport in early April, 1913, where he signed up with the Curtiss Exhibition Team for the season. His first assignment was to fly at several points in western Canada. In June he was back at Hammondsport, then in July returned to Canada for two weeks of additional flying. In September he made an exhibition tour of fairs in Kentucky and West Virginia flying headless Curtiss pusher. On October 13th Niles came in second in the annual Round-Manhattan Race, flying against William Luckey, Tony Jannus, C. M. Wood and Guy Gilpatrick. Following this event he took time out to go on a hunting vacation. Upon his return he left the Curtiss Exhibition Company and joined the Moisant organization at Hempstead, Long Island, [[strikethrough]] New York [[/strikethrough]] and began flying a Kantnor-Moisant "Bluebird" monoplane with a 70 hp., [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] Gnome rotary engine.

Niles had been interested in acrobatic flying for some time as there were a number of maneuvers he wanted to try and now he had a machine ideally suited for

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact