Viewing page 3 of 14
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
pilots, as Pilot-Mechanic, where they flew at Indianapolis, Ind., Indianola, Iowa, Cadillac, Mich., and other mid-western points. Cicero flying field was abandoned late in the fall of 1915, so the group moved their school operations to the newly formed Ashbourne Field in the spring of 1916. There they continued to operate the school, and Pallissard added considerably to his flying experience. During the early Fall there were indications that the U. S. Signal Corps planned to start extensive student training operations at Ashbourne Field, so the Pallissard and Co. school was dissolved and he joined the Government Service on this program as a Cadet and Aviation Mechanician. The Government School was officially opened October 28, 1916, with several planes and instructors. Late in January, 1917, the entire outfit moved wouth to Memphis, Tenn. for the winter months. While with this group, Pallissard recieved further training on Curtiss JH-4 training planes with OX engines. On July 7, 1917, all training operations returned to Ashbourne Field. Later that Summer the group moved to Chanute Field, Rantoul, Ill. He remained in the Government Training Field Service as Mechanician and Crew Chief for the duration of World War I. After the war Pallissard was stationed at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, for a time in engine repair and overhaul work. While there, he obtained his Pilot License, No. 391, in April, 1919. This was one of the new series of numbers issued by the Government after taking over the licensing from Aero Club America. He then had a tour of duty at Fairfield Air Intermediate Depot, Osborne, Ohio; Morrow Field, Detroit, Mich; Memphis, Tenn; Texas; Wabash, Ind. and Service Aviation Corp, Mt.Clemens, Mich. During this period he was Crew Chief principally on large two- and three-motored bombers, including the then new Martin, Caproni, Gax and LePere planes. This work included any long cross-country ferry trips between various Government flying fields. In September, 1920, Pallissard was assigned by McCook Field to accompany Major R. W. Shroeder to Villes auvage, Etamps, France, as his Chief Mechanician with the special Air Force Verville-Packard Race Plane entered in the annual Gordon Bennett Races. Pallissard returned to civilian life in 1928, and for a time made his residence in his home town of St. Anne, Ill. After a time he was employed by the Electro-Motive Div. of General Motors Corp. at LaGrange, Ill., where he remained for ten years. During that time he continued to fly occasionally by renting a plane for practice at a local flying field. He retired at age 68, but kept his flying license and flew occasionally, just for the sport of it. For some time he had made his residence at Broadview, Ill., and there he passed away very suddenly on May 24, 1960. An Early Bird and flying pioneer, he devoted the majority of his life to aviation. During his active career, he worked and flew with "many of the great" among early Air Service officers, and is deserving of a full measure of credit for his faithful contributions to the pioneer days of aviation. Possessed of a keen understanding of mechanics, his was a valued career of service to his country and the industry. [[stamp]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/stamp]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.