Viewing page 4 of 14

and in flying condition. Their engagement took them to places in Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.

During the late fall of 1911 Dr. Spates reorganized to become the National Aeroplane Company, and Powers and Stadlman left the firm to join the Aero Exhibition Company which was preparing to go to Florida for the winter to operate a flying school at Rockledge, Florida. Otto Brodie was to be chief instructor, assisted by Powers. 

This southern venture proved to be a sad hoax, so Powers and Stadlman soon returned to Chicago where they built a Roberts-powered Curtiss-type hydro which Power started flying at Lake Winnebago near Oshkosh, Wisconsin about June 1st, 1912, with Stadlman acting as his mechanic. There they carried some passengers, taught a few students, and later started flying exhibition. On July 19th Powers flew from Lake Winnebago to Waverly Beach, Wisconsin. August 1st to 3rd he exhibited at a Chautauqua at Chain-O-Lakes, Wisconsin; August 4th at Waupaca, then on August 28th was at West Allis, Wisconsin. Powers completed the season in Wisconsin, then returned to Chicago.

In June, 1913 Powers started flying his plane at Clarendon Beach, Chicago, where he carried passengers during an active season, again assisted by Stadlman. 

During the winter of 1913-1914 Stadlman built a new flying boat, assisted by E. B. Jaeger and L. Z. Howell. It was a short hull Hall-Scott powered pusher biplane with outrigger tail, and Powers joined the venture as pilot. Initial flight tests took place in May on Lake Michigan off Lincoln Park, Chicago. On June 7th Stadlman attempted to fly it and had a bad smashup but was not hurt.

Following this Power and Stadlman formed the Estay Aero Corporation with R. J. Hoffman and started building a new tractor biplane, powered by Gyro rotary engine, for exhibition work. This plane was reportedly designed by C. M. Vought, but apparently nothing come of this venture.

Powers did more flying in the Chicago area that season, then in 1915 joined Early bird P.G. "Bud" Morriss to form a flying school and exhibition business in Grand Rapids, Michigan, using Benoist flying boat. This operation continued in 1916 at Reeds Lake, Michigan. 

2
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.