Viewing page 15 of 27
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
He and Arch Freeman put on a great flying program for the Society of Automotive Engineers' Summer Meeting held in Dayton on June 17 and 18, 1918. During that year and the postwar period Rinehart made several notable flights. On November 2, 1918, with Milton Baumann as a passenger, he established a new 2-man altitude record of 22,400 feet in a DH-4 during a test flight at South Field. November 30th he flew Charles F. Kettering from Dayton to Mineola, Long Island, nonstop in four [[strikethrough]] 4 [[/strikethrough]] hours, ten [[strikethrough]] 10 [[/strikethrough]] minutes, using a DH-4. June 17[[strikethrough]] th [[/strikethrough]], 1919, he flew H. E. Talbott from Dayton to Mineola nonstop in four hours, and on July 19th, again in a DH-4, he flew Mr. Kettering from Wichita, Kansas, to Dayton nonstop in seven hours and forty-five minutes. In 1920 the Dayton-Wright company was purchased by General Motors Corporation, however, the company continued to design and build several experimental airplanes, including the Rinehart-Baumann special race plane which Rinehart flew in the Gordon Bennett Trophy Event in France in the fall of 1920. This plane was unique because of its full-cantilever wing, variable-camber airfoil, flaps, and a fully retractable landing gear. This was one of the first practical applications of wheel retraction, now used on modern airplanes. A control problem forced it out of the race. Rinehart continued as test pilot [[strikethrough]] pukot [[/strikethrough]] and development engineer for the Dayton-Wright Company until June 1, 1923, when General Motors Corporation sold the assets of the company to the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation. Following this, Rinehart was sent to Europe to supervise the construction and test of a new all-metal plane at the Dornier Company. This did not work out so he returned to Dayton, where on November 5, 1923, he and Bernard Whelan formed the Rinehart Company to carry passengers, do cross-country flying and operate a school. The bug to build a new plane bit them and they brought one out, but it was never put on the market. In the summer of 1925 they also leased Norton Field, Columbus, Ohio, and began operations at both cities and flying between them. This partnership was dissolved in 1928 but Rinehart continued alone until 1932 when he supervised the construction of a new plane to demonstrate the Zapp wing flap. When 4.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.