Viewing page 15 of 17

On October 8th, 1913, Robinson flew from Montreal to Ottawa, Canada, a distance of 116 miles, carrying newspapers to be delivered enroute, making four stops to do so. When he arrived at Ottawa he found the field swarming with people, where he was to land, so it was necessary for him to fly around until another landing field could be located. This he was able to do and landed without an accident. He remained in Ottawa briefly to give some exhibitions, then flew back to Montreal for exhibitions there. Following this he returned to Cicero, and about November 1st severed his connections with the National Aeroplane Company and left for a visit to the west coast flying fields to have a look at aviation in that section of the country. 

About December 1st Robinson was back in his home town of Grinnell, Iowa, where in early January, 1914, he and five business associates formed The Grinnell Aeroplane Company [[strikethrough]] to build aeroplanes [[/strikethrough]]. He was made Secretary of the new company and work was started at once on a new monoplane, the main feature being that the pilot's range of visibility enabled him to see both above and below the wing in flight. It was powered by a new 100 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] h.p. 6 cylinder radial-type, air-cooled engine designed and built by Robinson. By mid-summer he had this new plane and engine in the air and on September 8th and 9th flew an exhibition date with it during a homecoming celebration at Tama, Iowa. He continued test and development work and during the early part of October began to plan a non-stop flight to Cicero Field, Chicago. 

On October 18th Robinson left Des Moines intending to fly to Chicago, but enroute, he became lost in high winds and a severe rain storm which carried him off course to the south and east of Chicago. He finally landed at Kentland, Indiana, after four hours, [[strikethrough]] 44 [[/strikethrough]] and forty-four minutes in the air, most of which was flown at 7,000 to 9,000 feet altitude. As it turned out he had flown 370 miles, establishing a new American cross-country record. On this flight Robinson carried some special mail and newspapers for delivery at Chicago. The next day he flew from Kentland to Cicero, 81 miles, to complete the trip and deliver his mail. Following this he went to San Diego, California to conduct flying demonstrations of the Macey automatic stabilizer before government flying officers at North Island.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact