Viewing page 9 of 25


addition they secured the part-time loan of Charles Taylor, No. 1 Wright factory mechanic, as added assistance. On the trip were Mrs. Rodgers, his mother, the Armour and Company representatives who were to make all arrangements and provide the necessary supplies, and the three mechanics, as well as newspaper reporters. 

Rodgers started from Sheepshead Bay, Long Island, September 17th 1911 and made his first stop at Middletown, New York without mishap. Beyond there he was beset with bad weather, smashups and repair jobs, making slow progress. By the time he reached Chicago on October 8th it became obvious he could not possibly reach the coast in the allotted thirty days, however with Armour's assurance to continue, he decided to try to complete the trip for the sake of aviation progress. 

Shortly after leaving Chicago he had made enough mileage to set a new cross-country record. At Tucson, Arizona he met Bob Fowler who was on his way east to be first to fly across the country from west to east. Almost every conceivable mishap hampered Rodger's progress, but at last on November 5th he was actually in sight of the Pacific Ocean. Again he was plagued with serious mechanical trouble and forced to land near Compton, California. In attempting to land in what turned out to be a plowed field he piled up and was quite badly injured, including a broken ankle, which laid him up for some time. The plane was again rebuilt but he was not able to actually complete the flight until December 10th when he finally landed on the beach in front of a hotel at Long Beach, and his wheels were taxied into the surf. This last leg of the flight was made with his ankle still in a cast. 

It had been 49 days since leaving Long Island, but his total flying time was a little over 82 hours. He had traveled a total estimated distance of 4,257 miles with stops made at 29 points. The longest distance flown any one day was 265 miles - the shortest 5 miles. He had 19 smashups and very little of the original plane remained when the destination was reached. Enroute there were three 4-day delays, two of 3 days and six 2-day stops as well as several one day delays for weather or repairs.

Certainly great credit is due Rodgers for his courage and determination. It

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact