Viewing page 8 of 24
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
United States and Canadian Governments. December 11th she established a new nonstop woman's cross-country record by flying a Curtiss airplane from North Island, San Diego, to the Presidio at San Francisco. For this notable flight she was awarded a medal by the Pacific Aero Club. On the flight she crossed over the Tehachapi Mountains at an altitude in excess of 9,000 feet. The distance was 610 miles and this surpassed Ruth Law's former record of 512 miles. This was also a new duration record for woman pilots in the United States. In early May, 1918, Katherine was sworn in as an authroized [[authorized]] United States airmail pilot at Chicago, then on May 23rd she started on a morning flight from Chicago to New York carrying mail. On the flight she encountered strong head wings [[winds]] and ran out of gas, which forced her down near Binghamton, New York, after ten hours in the air. In landing she nosed over, damaging a wing and breaking the propeller, but she was not injured. The distance flown was 783 miles. After repairs were made she flew on to Sheepshead Bay, Long Island, New York, where she and Ruth Law flew and raced each other on May 30th. In midsummer, 1918, Katherine returned to Canada for another series of exhibition engagements, first at Calgary for the week of July 9th, then flew to Edmonton, 175 miles in two hours and five minutes, which was then a Canadian distance-and-duration record. There she raced Leon Duray, the automobile race driver, then flew on to Saskatoon, Red Deer, and Camrose, leaving Canada August 3rd. While there she also carried the first government-authorized airmail in Canada on July 9th. On September 26th she made an airmail flight from College Park, Maryland, to Bustleton, Pennsylvania, these being the flying fields adjacent to Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, respectively used by the Post Office. Airmail had begun, for the first time as a continuous scheduled public service between permanent stations on May 15, 1918. Previously there had been about 6
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.