Viewing page 6 of 14
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
advertized [[advertised]]: Plane to order, Parts, Accessories, Motors, Aviators taught, Flights furnished. Over the winter months of 1912-1913 the Chicago Aero Works made a good-looking new light exhibition tractor biplane for Hillery Beachey. Designed by Beachey and Stupar, it had a span of 38 feet upper wing, 26 foot lower wing and was powered by a 6-cylinder 50 [[strikethrough]]H.P.[[/strikethrough]] hp., Kirkham engine. This plane proved to be an excellent [[strikethrough]]machine[[/strikethrough]] flier and Beachey used it in [[strikethrough]] exhibition flying [[/strikethrough]] air demonstrations for some time. In January, 1913 the Chicago Aero Works moved to a new address to acquire additional space in a better location. In 1914 Stupar built a 50-horsepower Gnome exhibition tractor biplane for west coast aviator Earl Daugherty, quite similar to the one made for Beachey. These machines were then called "Stupar Tractors". Early in 1915 he completed a Stupar Flying Boat for the Chicago U. S. Naval Reserves, and in July he completed and delivered a Stupar Tractor to aviator Christensen. In December another tractor was delivered to W. H. Couch, and they were also finishing a Junior Tractor for Ray Carroll, a shop employee. In the early spring of 1916 he completed two new tractors, one for aviators Shank and Callahan of Huntington, West Virginia, and one for C. R. "Sinnie" Sinclair with a 70 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp., Maximotor engine. After delivery of these Stupar built a new Looping Tractor for Fred Hoover. A new Stupar Tractor was then exhibited at the Pan-American Aeronautic Exposition at Grand Central Palace, New York, February 8th to 15th, 1917. Late in 1916 Stupar left the Chicago Aero Works to become General Superintendent of the Standard Aircraft Company at Plainfield, New Jersey. As the United States entered World War I Stupar was pressed into government aircraft inspection service, and early in 1917 organized the first Aircraft Wood Inspection Department of the [[strikethrough]] U.S. Army Air Service [[/strikethrough]] Signal Corps Aviation Section at Buffalo, New York. There he was also delegated to start a school to train aircraft inspectors and later organized departments in various U. S. inspection districts. During this time he was the author of the U. S. Army Wood Inspection Manual. He remained in this work until February, 1919 when he left government service to organize the Aeronautical Department of G. Elias and Bros. of Buffalo, New York,
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.