Viewing page 12 of 37

the spring he left Waterman as custodian of the remaining equipment at the base, and as soon as he was alone he began flying the one old 25 H.P. "Lizzie" school machine left there. Curtiss eventually found out about it and wired Waterman to ship the engine to Hammondsport. 

That summer Waterman built his second powered machine, a tractor biplane using a 4 cylinder, 25 H.P. Cameron automobile engine formerly used by Charles Walsh. Completed that fall it was taken to North Island, where on first tests it proved airworthy, but engine over-heating prevented sustained flight. Experiments with this plane continued into late 1912 when a sudden windstorm completely demolished the machine. 

Waterman remained at the Curtiss camp during the winter months of 1911-1912, then when the Navy brought three planes there for testing that spring, he assisted with that project. One of the machines was a Wright Model B which had been converted to a hydro by installing Navy floats. Ensign V.O. Herbster, who was the pilot assigned to this plane, was Waterman's particular pal, and Waterman flew with him several times in this plane. On March 1st, 1912 Herbster and Waterman crashed into the Bay while making some serial photographic experiments with a camera attached on a wing tip to be focused on the flyers to take pictures of themselves in flight. Curtiss student W.B. Atwater came to their assistance in a hydro but Herbster and Waterman remained afloat with the wreckage until Navy help arrived. 

During the summer of 1912 Waterman was influenced by Curtiss to go to college and get an engineering education. As a result he entered the University of California at Berkely [[Berkeley]] that fall, earning tuition money by off-campus work for the Hall-Scott Motor Company and some of the local aviators. During 1913 he started to build a flying boat with the help of some of his student associates, but was later forced to abandon the project due to lack of finances. Waterman graduated in June, 1916, then became a full time employe [[employee]] at Hall-Scott until World War I broke out in 1917. 

Waterman immediately applied for a commission in the Air Service at North

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact